92 Merc XR6--High water pressure ???

zatchmo

There's a lift eye that screws into the top of the flywheel. They can be purchased from quite a few places including eBay. They aren't very expensive at all.

22R

OK, I pulled the divider plate and this is what I found. Left side from the back. Bottom three holes lowest one is plugged with wood. Next three set up lowest one appears to have some rubber(impeller I guess) plugging it. I am going to clean everything up and get a new gasket. Is that enough of a plug to raise the pressure. When I test ran the motor this morning I thought that the water pressure was a little lower than it was before I backflushed the first 5 or so pieces out of it. I am unsure if I will reinstall the plate and give it a try or pulled the heads and inspect there too. I am amazed that I picked up that much wood from one log strike. The impeller has been in a while I do believe as the last few change outs the rubber was all intact. Thanks for the help guys, one way or the other I am gonna figure this out.

22R

Attachments

22R

UPDATE :

I opened up the divider plate and snapped these pic(last post) then went out to eat. When I returned home I got out my flashlight and noticed that I had alot of other plugged holes with wood deeper in than you could see. I am now trying to pick the pieces out. I may try to flush from the T'stats with water after putting some rags in the exhaust ports. I am not sure but I really think that this is the problem. Thanks again for everyone's input. The information exchange on here is amazing and invaluable.

22R

22R

OK, the only thing to add right now is that I picked as much debris as I could out of the 12 small holes then I removed the T'stats again and back flushed I had a little pluggage at first on two holes but I was able to pick a bit more and flush and now I have good flow out of all 12. I hope this is all of my trouble but we will see. When I run the engine I am going to shoot the heads with a Raytech infared Thermometer and look for hot spots. I did this last week and everything was OK but I will double check. I won't be able to get a gasket till Monday and I work days Mon and Tues so I may not get to run it till later in the week.
1st Pic- Stuff flushed with Exhaust plate still on. - original pics
2nd - After plate off, Stuff picked with small tools and straw attached to shop vac
3rd Pic - Stuff that was lodged and took some flushing and picking.

Thanks for the help, I am unsure if I will have to remove P/H but I am building confidence if I do.

22R

Attachments

22R

Another thing I am starting to think is that the Log strike last week was maybe the straw that broke the camels back. I know that the impeller piece has been in there a while so it is possible that the wood has piled up over time as well. Where the pressure tap is on top of the block I can see where the pluggage would back pressure and build it up there. You can see that from the last pic of the rear of the boat.

Later,

22R

F2008

The possibility of a successful outcome is looking much better, ...that's good. Give a holler if you need the ring. :smile

22R

And the saga goes on !! I reinstalled the Ex Plate and went try it. Same thing, maybe a bit lower pressure at a moderate clip but when I nail it, it pegs the needle. I came home and pulled the heads. It did have a piece of wood in one of the#4 Cyl H2O circ holes and the same on the #3 Hole. The Diverter on the #5 hole was swollen up and partially restricting the top H2O circ hole there. I ran weedeater line through all water openings that I could. The only one that I have trouble going through is the one at the bottom near #6 cyl. I am unsure if it is plugged or if it is just the angle of attack and the contour of where I am trying to push it to. I replaced the water diverters( that is just a piece of fuel hose I guess). I think that I am going to re-assemble without Poppet and give it a try. I don't think it is the poppet but I have been wrong alot and I hope I am here too. If the result is the same then I guess it is time to remove the powerhead. Couple of strange things to note was that as I was trying to blow compressed air I accidently discovered that if I put my rubber tipped airgun on the inside bolt hole thread for the #6 cyl, I hear a flow and I am unsure where it is going. This is the thread for the bolt that holds the head on. Another thing I noticed is that on the side of the block (both sides( there are some small holes that don't seem to go anywhere. Like a casting defect but I don't know....Hope my block isn't going the way of cottage cheese !!!!!! On a good note the cylinder walls still look real good and the carbon build up has no thickness, just stain.
1st pic- holes in casting ???? on right side of block from rear
2nd pic- hole in casting on the left side ??? You can't see these when heads are on.
3rd pic- Left cyl bank
4th pic- Right cyl bank

Any advice or tips appreciated,
Later,
22R

Attachments

Volatile

If you have that much wood in there, I'd pull the heads. never hurts to install fresh head gaskets. Sounds like you found a bunch of the problem. Be sure you got it all!

Allyfishing

Jeeezzzz.....for goodness sakes....did ya stick the entire log in the motor???!!!! :shock: Seems like the digger ya deep the more ya find. As previously advised, I think if it were mine I would pull the powerhead and check there also.

Sucks to have to do it.

Oh yeah, and I noticed I have holes like that also in the casting at places. I noticed when I pulled the heads off to have them cut. I am no mechanic and never pulled a motor apart but they didn't look like they were supposed to do anything. Beats me!! LOL!!

This is getting interesting.....keep us posted....and that rubber you found is that from the impeller?

22R

Craig,
I am glad to hear that the holes are something with the cast and not mine rotting. I really thought that with all the wood and impeller that I got out of the Ex Divider plate that the problem was solved. Again, I can't see the poppet being the problem but I wish now I had pulled it and run the engine as someone else suggested earlier. One of the guy's on Fastbass that lives down here has offered to lift the powerhead with me when we can get together. I want to put the heads back on and try one more time without the poppet but I don't want to have to buy new head gaskets again if they would have to come off for any reason when we remove(find something else) the P/H. You do learn alot doing this stuff though. Thanks for the reply.

22R

22R

Re: 92 Merc XR6--High water pressure ??? -Update !!

OK, I ran it without the Poppet and the results are the same. Rigging up to pull P/H. Anyone know how to disconnect the shift and throttle linkage ? Looks like some springs and brackets that I don't wanna mess up for when I go back. Does the shift shaft come up with the P/H ? This seems to be my main concern studying it.

22R

Iowafshr

Any updates? I'm about to start chasing this issue. Noticed the stream was weak and the water pressure was really high. The temp still read ok though.