280 rebuild time

whipper

Mark Harden at Quality Marine in SC rebuilt my 96 225 Promax to stock spec and it hasnt missed a beat in almost 6 years!! Have no idea how many hours ago that was but its alot running over 7000RPM with side pined pistons for 3 or 4 of those years.:gasp:beer:

That would make an intersting thread. Who built your motor and how long ago.

Lotus 50

My 1990 XR4 has never been apart. I bought it as new old stock in 1993. It was used at least one summer as a demo motor.

It's still strong. 89.7 gps last year.

Volatile

Excellent info in this post for you to chew on. I totally agree and as I mentioned already, leave the 280 alone unless you are doing a few MINOR things to it. Don't do the huge 2 or 3 way rod slots, the motor never sees enough rpm to benefit enough to compensate for the bottom end you kill. Don't port it or you will need tight heads and racing fuel to enjoy it as much as the 280 you have now. Mercury spent a looonnnnggg time designing and testing the 280. I would have prefered that they left a little more exhaust chest, and done a few MINOR chages elsewhere, but its a superb motor.

Westy

Excellent info in this post for you to chew on. I totally agree and as I mentioned already, leave the 280 alone unless you are doing a few MINOR things to it. Don't do the huge 2 or 3 way rod slots, the motor never sees enough rpm to benefit enough to compensate for the bottom end you kill. Don't port it or you will need tight heads and racing fuel to enjoy it as much as the 280 you have now. Mercury spent a looonnnnggg time designing and testing the 280. I would have prefered that they left a little more exhaust chest, and done a few MINOR chages elsewhere, but its a superb motor.
I agree! It perfect for what I want.

Westy

Volatile

Marty......I have one of your 280 blocks from a few years back and its not stock ;) I think you ran Lake Racer with it maybe? Replated one. I have to agree on the rings. Some of the guys building like to sell things they can mark up> pistons, bearings, shipping, machine work. Usually just lines the persons pocket and the motor DOES run better.....mainly because it had 20% leakdown to start with. LOL.

jas638

Banned
This isn't a post about Jay, so please don't make it one. Everyone has their favorite builder. Just like Chevy/Ford/ Dodge. I like Ponitacs and Buicks personally.
Whipper and Slomofo are just stating that people have options. Just as mentioned, Jay is one of many builders. Prices vary, turn around as mentioned can vary, skill level, shipping time and proximity also vary. The mods are pretty standard across the board if you choose to modify. Rebuilds only are even more standard. If the racers on Byuboyz don't seem to like him ,then thats their choice. Everyone has opinions and choices to make. Jay may be one persons choice as an engine builder, and there are lots of reasons to choose a builder. There are also lots of builders with videos and winning boats. Lots more builders weren't mentioned and I never once mentioned our own shop either. Glen Reynolds, Phil Conant, Performance Outboards (Ryan), Dale Hill, Eric Simon, Ron Anderson, Seebold Marine, Mumford in GA., John Marles in CA and so on. Many cut their teeth on F1 racing or are building winning drag boats and bassers.
BTW I would suggest that you have way too much initial timing on the motor in the video. You generally want less timing, a longer slide, and more air, so that the motor is crisper at idle. Lots of initial timing and less air tends to load up the motor. However, if you run a chip with 8-10% leaner bottom, that would allow you to run more timing. ;)
well where do i start my rebut? ok . let me ask am i not allowed to comment ? or did someone appoint you in charge of this thread. was not makin this a what about jay thread ,dont know why you would think that.yup he built me a motor ,i had a great experience so whats wrong with lettin others know. you plugged plenty of names of builders and even gave your expert opinion of they things they do ,for better, for ? i am not a racer and never will be. i am a hobbyist thats all. i make videos for fun not to prove anything. you will never see me in a competition race video. (maybe one for fun :) ) as for your suggestion about my motor and the timing thing. to be honest i have to laugh because i have no idea how to check the timing. that motor is fresh, back from jay.i would be suprised if he didnt know how to set it. still breakin her in and keepin her on the rich side. the thing about the video, every one should know is the foot throttle cable is a little sticky from the cold and sittin all winter. so when i goose the pedal a bit it is hangin up keepin the idle too high,but if you listen and look closely (at the horn blade)you can hear and see when i pull back on the foot pedal the idle drops back down. now about the ford,chevy,buick,pontiac issue. aren't they manufacturers? like merc,johnson, evinrude? this post is about engine builders right? but as far as you likin pontiacs we could both debate who builds the best pontiac. i am a pontiac guy tooo. 1972 pontiac ta . nunzi (the godfather of pontiac horsepower)mild 455 10.80's stock suspension 10inch slick. street-car 3705LB w/driver :beer:

Last edited:

racerx

I like it when somone brags about there engine builders,my word to them is let me try it,and i will put the rods through the side of the block in 15 min,they get a kick outa that,ask Lou Jones about his 280 that had brand new top pinned pistons from mercury, marles takes the stakes out for his own stakes(talked into from jsre and marles)to have one fall out in 15min running time after a 2000 mile trip to the allison ralle,professionals i guess,the problem is the stock 2.5s are gettin rare,there gettin butchered up and taking value from them,cutting holes into the cowel pans for extra hoses(for what) orig is always worth more money,if ya want to go faster buy a drag powerhead,in the long run its cheaper...Jas sounds like a runnin pontiac,Arnie Beswick lives an hour from me,he runs a chevy with pontiac chief heads in the nostaglia cars...

jas638

Banned
I like it when somone brags about there engine builders,my word to them is let me try it,and i will put the rods through the side of the block in 15 min,they get a kick outa that,ask Lou Jones about his 280 that had brand new top pinned pistons from mercury, marles takes the stakes out for his own stakes(talked into from jsre and marles)to have one fall out in 15min running time after a 2000 mile trip to the allison ralle,professionals i guess,the problem is the stock 2.5s are gettin rare,there gettin butchered up and taking value from them,cutting holes into the cowel pans for extra hoses(for what) orig is always worth more money,if ya want to go faster buy a drag powerhead,in the long run its cheaper...Jas sounds like a runnin pontiac,Arnie Beswick lives an hour from me,he runs a chevy with pontiac chief heads in the nostaglia cars...
arnie "the farmer"beswisk . another king of the pontiacs!!! i saw that tiger striped car of his go bout 20yrs ago at english town n.j at a pontiac day event. real cool. its a shame to see the great old timers retiring from racing. nunzi is retired just playin with his own stuff. still sells parts though.

xb2003

Hey Westy...give Kevin at K&J Marine a call in Arky. He rebuilt my motor so I'm very confident in his his work... Plus he's just a good ol dude.
1-870 942 6777

Volatile

Jas, Sorry if you took the reply wrong. Its just that people on some boards like to get into a pissing match over Jay at times, one board loves him, one board is not super fond of him and I did not want to see the thread go downhill. I wasn't trying to bossy, just stating some options. And yes, your timing is set incorrectly for most applications, both according to the manual and according to the way the ECU MAP sensor/fuel map would prefer it to run for best holeshot/ least loadup. I'm glad you like your motor. Learn as much as you can about how it works. Education is a key to many doors. Anyway, everyone has opinions and I was not trying to stiffle yours, just encouraging the "questioner" to check around and do his homework. This sport is expensive enough and a person can get a well built motor from a number of builders. Jeff is refering to a JSRE motor that blew up. How good is the particular builder when the motor blows? Will he/she stand by the work or warranty the motor? Are the parts or labor covered if the builder or his parts are defective? How much does he charge initially and does he expect the customer to replace parts that may not need replacing but will make him money? What do other "experts", "racers" say about him or her? Everyone and anyone can have a powerhead fail. How well do they stand behind their work, how much do they charge, how much performance improvement/$$$? Jeff is saying lots of people brag about their builder. In the end its a personal decision with LOTS of choices available. Arnie is a friend of our family and lives 20minutes from us outside of Morrison. He has a very modest home and farm. For a guy his age, he is one of the best drivers out there, running in the low-mid 7's on naturally aspirated Methanol. I envy that car you have. roller cam'd? TH400 and a 3.42 or 3.55 gear? Our orange street 1969 400cid RA3 GTO is a meager high 12sec street car and we've owned several 1967 GTO's, an SD T/A and a Buick GS Stage 1 . Jeff had a beautiful 2+2 that I'll bet he wishes he still had. Take care Jas.

jas638

Banned
Jas, Sorry if you took the reply wrong. Its just that people on some boards like to get into a pissing match over Jay at times, one board loves him, one board is not super fond of him and I did not want to see the thread go downhill. I wasn't trying to bossy, just stating some options. And yes, your timing is set incorrectly for most applications, both according to the manual and according to the way the ECU MAP sensor/fuel map would prefer it to run for best holeshot/ least loadup. I'm glad you like your motor. Learn as much as you can about how it works. Education is a key to many doors. Anyway, everyone has opinions and I was not trying to stiffle yours, just encouraging the "questioner" to check around and do his homework. This sport is expensive enough and a person can get a well built motor from a number of builders. Jeff is refering to a JSRE motor that blew up. How good is the particular builder when the motor blows? Will he/she stand by the work or warranty the motor? Are the parts or labor covered if the builder or his parts are defective? How much does he charge initially and does he expect the customer to replace parts that may not need replacing but will make him money? What do other "experts", "racers" say about him or her? Everyone and anyone can have a powerhead fail. How well do they stand behind their work, how much do they charge, how much performance improvement/$$$? Jeff is saying lots of people brag about their builder. In the end its a personal decision with LOTS of choices available. Arnie is a friend of our family and lives 20minutes from us outside of Morrison. He has a very modest home and farm. For a guy his age, he is one of the best drivers out there, running in the low-mid 7's on naturally aspirated Methanol. I envy that car you have. roller cam'd? TH400 and a 3.42 or 3.55 gear? Our orange street 1969 400cid RA3 GTO is a meager high 12sec street car and we've owned several 1967 GTO's, an SD T/A and a Buick GS Stage 1 . Jeff had a beautiful 2+2 that I'll bet he wishes he still had. Take care Jas.
no biggie, guess i am just a very excited hobbist. its all good thanks for a good reply . as for the car , i have had it since 1987. its a nunzi 455 stroked ,long chevy rod 2.200 journal lightens the rotatin assembly a bit. crank knife edged and nitrided stroked 4.250.has nunzi 4bolt main billet caps.ross pistons .40, nunzi solid cam and lifters 585,597,crane gold full rollers with girdles. a very early edition of edelbrock heads assembled and slighty tricked up by nunzi. (he has a flow bench built for pontiac heads only). yes i have a nunzi crower roller set up on the shelf and a victor manfold.i never put it in.lol sittin there since 2001. lol . thats how old the motor is.it runs so dam good i dont want to take it apart. it still gets over 100lbs of oil pressure. pins the guage unbelieveable. freddy brown t-400 w/brake (i dont use it) low first and second.3500 stall (streetable)with his special street racin valve body mods. no-lag off the gas on the down shift on the street from a roll then touch the gas and the converter flashes hard. 4.11 12 bolt moser ,c-clip elims all the goodies. it was a long ,fun project. before i forget i will tell ya i put a evac-pump on the motor. read some articles sayin there worth 35+hp. i never did a dyno test but the motor did like it. and the gaskets and the motor stay dry no leaks!!!car runs 10.80"s within the hundreds .got a little spray (200) for when i need it too ,they kicked me off the track when i went into the 9's .

h2oskiier30

In all honesty, 2 strokes aren't rocket science. If you're going back stock, and you're even marginally mechanically inclined, you can get a Mercury Service Manual and do the rebuild yourself. Disassemble the block, send it to Ruck for inspection/honing, inspect the disassembled parts, order the parts you need to replace, then put it back together per the manual (100% by the book) and save yourself some major moo-lah.

ziemer

I love my engine builder. I would put his motors up against any of the top guys. :big grin

My 260 was fresh last May and probably has 25 hours on it now. Prior to that it had almost 4 seasons on it, with a season of FBI races. Oh yeah, he's right up the street. :at the bar

I agree on stock. My 260 is still stock, porting, exhaust chest, etc. and it idles like a fishing motor and pushes the hell out of my big family boat.

Good luck on your rebuild. :cool