280 cuts off

fishnfireman

my 280 has started cutting off. it's acting like you throw the kill switch then turn it back on. it might do it once or twice. then it might do it until the motor completely dies.
there seems to be no common denominator to when it might do this. it could be taking off-- or 10 miles up the lake. i thought at first it might be a fuel problem because it will always re-start . we checked the fuel system from end to end with no luck- even ran a hot wire straight to the fuel pump bypassing everything in case the pump was losing power.

then we went to looking for electrical problems. thought we found it in the blk/yel wire that goes to the kill switch. ran fine for 2 days then (poof). back again. hooked it to a ddt, showed defaults with relays and crank position indicator. replaced relays----- ran fine for several hours then poof back again..... replaced cpi.... poof back again.

IF ANYONE HAS AN IDEA PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

white03

Don't know if this will help, but I had the same problem on my 225 pro max. Ended up being the big plug on the starboard side of the motor that was coming loose and would intermitently loose its connection (I think this plug comes off the ECU.

Good luck

fishnfireman

no luck

we have done the push, pull,snug,tug, look, disconect , reconect.. even took a small screwdriver and spread the pins to make better contact.
still no luck.

do you think it could be the ECU ????

jay j

look over the motor again and check for a loose ground wire. vibration
could also be the culprit with that.

chad202

I agree, check every wire connection under the cowl. Tighten every nut and screw.

fishnfireman

loosing hair over this one

the loose grnd was one of the first things we looked for and still sounds like the culprit . i loosened cleaned and replaced all the ground and hot wires i could find-----------will double ckeck them

Rocket

If it's NOT a ground!!! Then,, I'd say,,,,,,Check that wire the wire (I think it's yellow with a Red stripe) that runs from your key switch back to the ECU! :? It's the one that tells your ECU to shut off when you turn off the key! :shock:

Maybe it's got a short in it!?!?!?!?! :roll:

fishnfireman

I think we FINALY found the culprit.

The in or out switch that is on the shift linkage.
Would stick about half the time. So it would tell the ECU it was in neutral. when it was running down the lake..