260 with simon altenator?

chad202

What ya'll take on the Simon Motorsports altenator system. Anyone running one.

froggy

If you decide to get this rig be careful and wire the Simon alternator to it's own battery and use the engines charging system for the starting battery and do not interconnect the batteries. Fried two of three ECU's on a three engine Skater with 'em. Had 'em hooked up as Simon suggested (didn't make sense but did it anyway).

Live and learn.

froggy

chad202

:?: I run a two battery system and crank off one of my troll batteries. My trolling motor is jumped at the plug and not the batteries. Were you running a regulator? Sounds like a great system but just doing some homework first.

GPI Racing

Boys,

Keep in mind that it takes power to run an alternator like that. At 8000 rpm somewhere in the neighborhood of 15hp at full field. Your regular 16amp system is requiring power also and that is still in the loop. Nothing is free. I, myself have prefered to run the 40 amp system for guys with power demands. Have run them up to 8500 without any difficulties. Something to keep in mind....

Randy

B

BP

Randy, when running the 40 amp system @ that rpm, do mod (lighten) the flywheel?

GPI Racing

I have done both. Not a lot of difference to be honest. We even made a couple flexplate 40 amp flywheel that were within 1/2 pound of the Merc race aluminum one. I've got over 20 fourty amp systems out there running up to 8000 rpm. Not one failure of the crank train in the last 4 years. You'd have to be serious racing with a good instrumented data logger to find any difference in performance. For lake guys it works very good.

Randy

chad202

The bigger magnets on the 40amp flywheel doesn't kill power more than the altenator????Would you recomment the red flexplate flywheel or the heavy black stock one that came on the later promaxes.