250XS on a 2003 or 2003 - HELP

skewby

what about some aluminum L brackets? they will be soft enough to bend at the angle you need, screw the upright to the hump through the battery box and have the bottom of the bracket bolted to the bottom of the battery box with a couple small machine bolts??? just a thought

whipper

K Dawg I know ive never ran an ET on a 3.0lt but im going to say a 30 Hydromitve 4 blade is going to get you out of the hole 3 times as fast because of the torque your making and extra hole your digging with the extra 70+ lbs back there. Off setiing weight forward will help but i would try and get your hands on a 30 4 blade with vent holes and see what the difference is compared to an ET.. On a Vee hull lighter the better for an ET. They work well on a GS with a 2.5 but a fishing loaded XB with a 3.0lt not so much? Also less setback should be better for hole shot. More setback better for rough water and a load running. Correct me if im wrong but thats been my experience. a proET would probably be a good prop choice also or the new ProMax prop.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
The ET style blade ran well with the 2.5 and runs well with the 3.0 liter. I didn't buy it as a fishing prop just thought I was gonna be making long runs that particular weekend so I gave it a try. But, once on plane it has no problem pushing my boat.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Also, I do not run a planning aid of any kind. I am pretty sure with a Allifoil should would have no problem planning loaded with the 31 ET.

Ally03 200xs

300xs just mounted today using "Hotprops" setup as my guide. 14.5 setback, Allison skid planer (no back wash), still in break in mode...

It seems to run and handle pretty good

Mav73

I have my 300xs 12 inches back on my 03 with both skid planner and hydrofoil on, no backwash. take the skid planer off and leave hydrofoil on it gets back wash. skid planer on ,hydrofoil off gets no back wash. so as I see it the skid planer is the main player in the back wash problem.

Now as far as hole shot,, they are both needed . my boat jumps out the water with both on , you take one away and the bow raises up on take off

Now I haven't moved my battery to the front , I only run 2 batteries , one in the back by the tank and one in the left wing as far forward as I can get it.. I run my motor , 1 inch above the pad ( yes one inch above) my boats ran 100 with a 4 blade hydromotive prop I think it was a 33 ,a better driver could get more out of it but that's all I wanted at that time lol good luck

Mav73

Certainly not on an XB2002 and theres a few 250XS' on the back of XB2003's. I would imagine its a bear to set-up though but Im just guessing.
Jason wolfe has a xb02 with a 250 yamaha sho on it and I think it's the same weight as the 300xs . he loves it , no problems

Ally03 200xs

I have my 300xs 12 inches back on my 03 with both skid planner and hydrofoil on, no backwash. take the skid planer off and leave hydrofoil on it gets back wash. skid planer on ,hydrofoil off gets no back wash. so as I see it the skid planer is the main player in the back wash problem.

Now as far as hole shot,, they are both needed . my boat jumps out the water with both on , you take one away and the bow raises up on take off

Now I haven't moved my battery to the front , I only run 2 batteries , one in the back by the tank and one in the left wing as far forward as I can get it.. I run my motor , 1 inch above the pad ( yes one inch above) my boats ran 100 with a 4 blade hydromotive prop I think it was a 33 ,a better driver could get more out of it but that's all I wanted at that time lol good luck
What props do you like on your boat? Thx!

Mav73

What props do you like on your boat? Thx!
I run a 29 pitch ally cut chopper most of the time. I've ran a 30 promax and I like it the best. The 33 hydromotive is the fastest I've ran. The 32 et is supposed to be the fastest but I've never ran one. MY FAVORITE PROP IS THE 30 PROMAX. I'M SAVING MY MONEY TO BUY ONE , it's an all around good prop.

Ally03 200xs

I run a 29 pitch ally cut chopper most of the time. I've ran a 30 promax and I like it the best. The 33 hydromotive is the fastest I've ran. The 32 et is supposed to be the fastest but I've never ran one. MY FAVORITE PROP IS THE 30 PROMAX. I'M SAVING MY MONEY TO BUY ONE , it's an all around good prop.
Thanks for the info! The 30 Promax is what I'm running right now. Did the one you run have 0, 4, or 8 pvs holes?

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Update on my 2003. I added 8 inches of set back for a total of 13 inches. Drove and handled like a completely different boat. The hull felt like it was a foot higher out of the water all the way around and that was just cruising speed. The boat really responded extremely well to the added set back. She didnt set although that much lower in the ass than she did with 5.5" of set back. Then I moved my trolling batteries to right in front of the hump under the front deck. The batteries I moved were two 31 series Duracell AMG's that weigh 70#'s each. That's 140#'s of batteries in the front. The boat floated in the ass like it did with the 2.5 on the tail of the boat, the front was noticeably lower in the water than before. When getting on plane I could plane out with the motor trimmed level. Getting on plane was a breeze and has never been so easy. Running it was very nose heavy. The hull did not lift as it should. I had to trim it way up to get the hull (nose) up out of the water running. Since then I have moved 1 trolling motor battery back to the spot in front of the tank and moved the other to the center in front of the hump. I now have my starting battery in front of the hump opposite of the trolling battery and one in front of the hump. Now it runs way better than before and seems to be better balance. Much closer to how it ran when I added the 7"s of set back before moving both batteries up front. Since then I have added two 8' power poles to the back of the boat. So I figure it like this. I added a motor 505#'s, 2 power poles at around 34 #'s each for a total of 173ish#'s. 505 -400=105 for the motor and 34+34=68. 105+68=173#'s By moving a 70 battery to the front you can subtract that 70 from 173, I really only added 103 pounds to the ass end. Make sense or am I way off? I suppose I am gonna lose some on top due to drag from the poles. One isn't hooked up yet in this picture and I had to adjust the height but this is pretty much what she looks like.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18950994_1273376672761702_2830854069494689798_n.jpg?oh=43c995f1185eb52af227d04814147543&oe=59AA907C

Last edited:

whipper

Sound good to me BUT what I would try when ye can is lift the hull of the trailer. Get a log and padded well with some life jackets or blankets what ever . To find true center of ballance with you in the boat rest the hull enough to tetter totter to see were your at then move stuff around to get it were the 2.5,s balance point is. On a GS this point is just behind the front seats.Not sure were it is on an XB? Im assuming its the same as the hulls are so close. I would also take down the lip a hair to stop the bow from coming {off} down as fast with the non ratcheting case and larger wheels.
Also with 13 setback you have lots of room to add flotation to the stern in the cavity. Blow up some thin volly balls or what ever back there that will help hole shot tremendously and back wash as will the skid planner.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Last edited:

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Picture of the set up now. The starting battery and one trolling battery in front of the gas tank and one battery in front of the hump and both power poles, and livewells full. The only picture they are not full is the pictures when it had a 2.5 liter on it. Definitely higher in the rear than with all batteries in the back. Plus, it drove and rode like it did when I added 7 inches of set back. Definitely not plug and play adding a 3.0 to the back. I have found that most of what I have heard about how to set one up with a 3.0 is wrong. Took a while but, I am as close as I am gonna get with the set up. It runs and drives as good as I have ever felt it with a 2.5 or 3.0 liter.
I also think I lost 2 mph up top. This is my best guess from one run today. Could have been conditions but, Seems like everyone else has lost a little up top with power poles.

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

Not so fast on the Xb2002. I do know of a SHO/2002 combo. They are the same weight as a big block Opti.

Is it optimal? Perhaps not but it can work. Where there is a will, there is usually a way