250XS on a 2003 or 2003 - HELP

catfish123

Ok, hadn't thought about that......I currently have a 225X.

catfish123

And msharp.......with all the laughing you have been doing.......you must not have much "a" left.

whipper

you just dont how big my "A" is .
:gasp:big grin Thats great info Jeff. I see your logic its very simple. You add 100 lbs to the stern you need to add 100 or so to the bow to accomplish the same balance point.I also never thought about the water to the prop =setback logic before. I realized you want clean water for the prop to bite and for best top end 14inches has always been the norm. Best all around is 12 and less for best hole shot. Great to put it all into praspective. So your running 100 you say as she is right now? Do you think theres much more if you tried? Also the hole shot does it feel like a 280 also? Thanks James

Mav73

That would be worth a try. But the way I use a trolling motor I need 3 batterys and with a optimax engine being so picky about battery voltage I would suggest adding a battery.
What engine height were you running , I was at 12 inches setback and 1 inch above pad I have since moved in to 10 inches set back and same engine height didn't really see any difference

Mick

So how many are running 3L on there xb03's? I'm contemplating going this route. From what I've read I gather it's very doable.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
So how many are running 3L on there xb03's? I'm contemplating going this route. From what I've read I gather it's very doable.
I am running a 225 Pro XS on mine with a sport master lower. I went with a 5.5" CMC plate. I wish I would have read this first. Seems like every one I have spoke to about running a 3.0 liter on their 2003 are running at least 10" of set back. Mine runs and drives fine but, those people seem to run much bigger numbers than I am. Thinking about buying some 4" set back brackets that would give me 9.5" of set back and putting my 2 trolling motor batteries right in front of the hump centered. I will be moving 140 pounds out of the back of the boat. I would then be able to move my cranking battery and my oil tank into the center compartment in front of the gas tank. I would have my 2 rear storage compartments free of any batteries, oil tank stuff. Also, going with the set back bracket will give me some flexibility to return to my current set up if I don't like it.

scj

Allison offers 4" set back brackets in black that are predrilled for different height applications that of course fits their bolt pattern.
Bob's offers 300 HP 4" setback brackets but they have to be drilled to fit the Allison bolt pattern.

I run the 5.5 CMC on the 4" Bob's brackets on my XB-21 ProSport. My batteries are all in the front of the rear compartments and as you mentioned, I think it would be wise to put your trolling batteries in front of the driver.
You'll get clean water to your 3 liter at 9.5 set back.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Allison offers 4" set back brackets in black that are predrilled for different height applications that of course fits their bolt pattern.
Bob's offers 300 HP 4" setback brackets but they have to be drilled to fit the Allison bolt pattern.

I run the 5.5 CMC on the 4" Bob's brackets on my XB-21 ProSport. My batteries are all in the front of the rear compartments and as you mentioned, I think it would be wise to put your trolling batteries in front of the driver.
You'll get clean water to your 3 liter at 9.5 set back.
I have a old 1994 model boat and I only have 4 transom bolts. Does the XB-21 have a different transom bolt pattern than a old XB2003?

If you watched any of the video's I made of my gear case running. You cannot see the gear case clean in any of them. I think being so close there not running in clean water. Plus I think I will get more lift running the gear case further back. Anybody know what Allison's set back brackets cost?

scj

Allison uses a 6 bolt pattern on their newer boats including the 20 foot models. My '08 2003 had 6 bolts just like my 21'er.
The Bob's plate should bolt up directly for a standard 4 bolt pattern. Both the Bob's and Allison plates have offset built in to raise the engine properly. I think the Bob's plate cost $129

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Currently I have to trim my motor all the way down for it to plane quickly. With the 2.5 I trimmed about half way between down and neutral for the best launch. I am thinking moving the motor back will help my hole shot also. Not that its bad but, it gets up and runs faster quicker when you use less negative trim.

Ally03 200xs

K-Dawg what is you top-speed with the 225 Pro XS. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Merc Racing 250xs.

Ally03 200xs

If you put a 3.0 on the boat it adds approx 100 lbs to rear of boat so you move batterys up front which takes 80-100 lbs off of the rear and puts it up front so that the balance from front to rear is about the same as what it is with a 2.5 motor . The length of jackplate is used to get proper water flow to the prop and for proper lift . If you shorten the jack plate and do not move the batterys you still have all the weight on the rear of the boat and you loose lift with the short jackplate, weight of the motor does not create lift. Also by moving your batterys to the front makes them last longer with the short wires goin to the trolling motor which equals better trolling motor performance....
How would I mount the trolling batteries in front of my xb2003?

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
K-Dawg what is you top-speed with the 225 Pro XS. I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Merc Racing 250xs.
Honestly I don't know what my top speed is. Havent really got the urge to string it out. I TX fish out of mine and I run a lot heavier than most. I run three 31 series batteries that weigh 70 pounds apiece. A 52 inch fourtrex, all of my tackle, rods and spare prop. Plus all sorts of other crap. Last weekend on the st. johns river I had a full tank of gas loaded to the gills with all my stuff and a half full livewell. I had a 31 pitch et bolted on and she would barely get on plane. But, once she did I hit 85 really easy and I think I could have went into the low 90's had I pushed it. That was at 5400 rpm. I am running a 1.62 sporty. In the summer I cant turn the 31 et prop past 5600 rpms. Last week I think I could have pulled it at least 5800 maybe 6k. People with 250 are reporting high 90's with easy. The ones who are running them hard. There are a lot more people over on the Allison facebook page running 3.0 liters on their 2003's than here. Hardly any information on this board. Most people are against it here. Most people in my bass club's boat are no where near as fast as mine and they usually just let me leave first. So, Once I get gone I don't really have to run hard to stay ahead of everyone. If I run 70-75 I walk away from everyone. Most of the small lakes and tight turn river we fish there is no where to really run it hard for more than 30 seconds of so before you have t slow down for a curve.

Last edited:

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I would really like to come up with something that screws to the hump. Maybe set the batteries in where they are long east and west instead of north and south. That way they don't interfere with the storage under the front deck lid as bad and I can use really short screws to hold the fwd side of the trays down.

Thanks for the replies Kdawg! What size screws are you going to use for the battery trays?
How would I mount the trolling batteries in front of my xb2003?