250XS on a 2003 or 2003 - HELP

I/O to O/B

Boys - trying to find threads on this. From what I've seen, the 250XS is simply too heavy to hang off the back of a 2002 or 2003? If so, does that mean the 225 PMs are going to get more and more expensive to run as fewer and fewerused power heads are available? If the 250XS isn't too heavy, is anyone running one with some numbers to report? Thanks. Gonna have me an allison before the water gets soft up here.

whipper

Works pretty good put trolling motor batterys up front and used 14 inch set back first pass little over 100 on gps. 2003 with 250xs .
Thats what I like to hear.
What you got your doing Bill/ Badbait? HotProp would there much differance you think with a 300XS over the 250XS as far as runability goes being there the same wieght?

Last edited:

Hotprop

Administrator
No reliability difference between the two that I have seen . Just dont mess up and run 87 octane fuel in a 300 or you will hav a kaboom !!!!! I have actually replaced more 250 powerheads than the 300 powerheads .

whipper

Probably would need alot of BRASS if you know what I mean to really hang a 300 out !!
I hear ya. Accually the one at Glens looks to be the same motor as yours. I edited my last post. Hotprop how you find backing off with the nonratcheting gear set? Is it freeky or do ya just back off slow as normal? Also what prop ya been useing and hows acceleration compared to a 2.5?

Ally03 200xs

Works pretty good put trolling motor batterys up front and used 14 inch set back first pass little over 100 on gps. 2003 with 250xs .
How far up front are you running the trolling motor batteries? Thanks!

whipper

Run a 32 lab et !! Feels alot like a 280 . No handling issues that I have noticed .
I think my mind is pretty much made up. Im going to start saving for a 300XS. I alway wanted to try this!
When I have the differance Ill put my 225PM up for sale. Now to run this by the wife.

whipper

I made some pM,s on S&F to some guys with light wieght 300X motors. They have there motors down to 445-450lbs!!! Pure kevlar cowl and premixing getting rid of the oil injection saved almost 50 lbs alone!! Going to a Taylor 15inch mid saves 15 or so.That put the 300X in the right wieght for a 03!!:big grin Hmmmm

whipper

I thought the 15" mids were not any lighter than the 20's. Just offered a lower COG?
That very well could be. i emailed Wayne about that one because I heard what your saying before also. They guy i talked to with one said it was about 10-15 but that did sound high so I emailed MadEFI. I missed him on the phone. Ill give him a call tomorrow. I would like to verify these savings. Even if a total of 40 was achieved thats pretty good also. I think the GS can handel wieght a little more than other models. Defanitly would want the lower COG though with anything heavier than a 2.5. I could also make a little cover at the very bow useing the bow eye cleat bolts on the inside to fab a holder for some led shot to get the Fulcrum the same as the 225PM is. The way mines set up right now is perfect!! I plan a little experament at work with finding the balanced center as she sits right now. Then if I hang a 300X or XS or what ever on there Ill do what ever I need to do to get the exact same spot balanced on the hull. We have a little crane I can use at work. I plan on lifting the hull and slacking off the end ones to see were the hull ballances on the center strap. Theres math for this Im sure. i bet if I called Darris he could tell me were it is right now.:big grin

catfish123

Jeff, just asking, but would you be able to accomplish the same "balance" possibly by letting the batteries in the back of the boat and going with less setback?.........Or is there some reason you feel this wouldn't work? Thanks

Hotprop

Administrator
If you put a 3.0 on the boat it adds approx 100 lbs to rear of boat so you move batterys up front which takes 80-100 lbs off of the rear and puts it up front so that the balance from front to rear is about the same as what it is with a 2.5 motor . The length of jackplate is used to get proper water flow to the prop and for proper lift . If you shorten the jack plate and do not move the batterys you still have all the weight on the rear of the boat and you loose lift with the short jackplate, weight of the motor does not create lift. Also by moving your batterys to the front makes them last longer with the short wires goin to the trolling motor which equals better trolling motor performance....

catfish123

Thanks for the info......this is probably a stupid question, but I only have 2 batteries in the boat. The starting battery is used to run the trolling motor along with the other battery. Both are Trojan deep cyle batteries. In this case, would you leave the one, (starting battery) in the back and just put one up front? Do you think that would work?

Hotprop

Administrator
That would be worth a try. But the way I use a trolling motor I need 3 batterys and with a optimax engine being so picky about battery voltage I would suggest adding a battery.