225x

merc106

Guys I have a 2002 225x 20” bass mid. My drive shaft plate has play in it where the motor mounts go. Looking for a plate in good shape to buy. Thanks,Bob 352-472-7867

David Lanham

I was doing PM on my same year X and noticed slop in mine as well. Noticed it after re-attaching the exhaust plate. I didn't have time to take it back apart and see exactly what's causing it.

Seems like I read a fix solution on S&F once upon a time. I'm thinking this mid-section/ exhaust plate is the same on all 2.5 L 20 inch types.

Last edited:

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
The upper mounts get loose between the plates. Clean it up good and put a thin coat of JB Weld in each plate. Coat each motor mount liberally with shoe polish as a release agent. Put it all back together and go boating. I was in a hurry years ago and tried this and it has held up fine with no more wear. I even took it apart to see how it looked. The wax let it come apart and it is still a perfect fit. I was going to replace things but see no reason to at this point.

(The wax and JB Weld is an old gun smithing trick used to bed rifle stocks.)

David Lanham

Great advice.

Think I'll wait till the season is over to try this unless I think it starts mess-n with handling.

Thanks

Great photo of your rig aired-out. Gez

Soo, out of curiosity, what wheel you turning in this photo?

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great advice.

Think I'll wait till the season is over to try this unless I think it starts mess-n with handling.

Thanks

Great photo of your rig aired-out. Gez

Soo, out of curiosity, what wheel you turning in this photo?
I think it was a buddy's 30 Hoss and 11" of set back.