225X oil alarm issue

Blueally XB21

I have a 225X and the smartcraft alarm sounded off yesterday. The alarm says the reserve oil tank (the one on the side of the engine) has 98% left in it. I pulled the engine cover and loosened the cap to check and it was full. So just in case, I started the engine and loosened the cap again and sure enough oil came out immediately. As we drove back to the ramp (~8 miles or so) the oil alarm continued to tell me the oil reserve was tank was dropping steady a percent at a time. By the time we got to the ramp the alarm was reading the oil reserve tank at 69%. I again check the tank and attempted to loosen the cap with engine running and it was still full. Any suggestions as to what to check next? Sensor maybe? Strange it reads as if the oil level dropping is real but the tank stays full.

Note: there was plenty of oil in the auxiliary tank and the caps were tight. We had run all day without any issues.

Thanks,
Harvey

V6MERC

Not sure if the X motors use the same thing or not, but I had all kinda problems(carried a spare in the glovebox) with the under hood oil cap on my '94 200 XRI... Might be a good place to start if they're the same.... :wink

Blueally XB21

Hey Darryl,
Did your caps leak or exactly how did it behave?
My cap doesn't appear to be leaking but I can try a new one.

Thanks,
Harvey

V6MERC

Hey, Harvey!!!

I had one crack and leak oil, and I had one that the sensor went nuts on... I've never really looked at the cap on a 225X, so I don't know if they're the same, or not... :embarassed