225 tear down, reccomendations

Speedman

o.k racing guys, since the motor is going to go in for a rebuild, any tips on things I should replace or things to improve. I am looking for reliability, not top end, but if different part will help, let me know. I am thinking new rings all around, maybe new power reeds? what else should I invest in, while it is apart, Thanks in advance, Gary

GPI Racing

Replace every piston and ring in the engine. (with a good quaility part not the junk Merc uses, hence your failure) Then all the bearings. The big end rod bearings with the steel caged version. The plastic caged one you have are a bad idea. Reeds if they are chipped or burnt.

Randy

FlatOutAlly

As always, Randy is speaking from experience. He got the not so pretty task of tearing mine down when it grenaded due to the cages. It was the first one he'd seen (that week, it was Monday).

Speedman

parts is parts

thanks Randi, reccomendations on new pistons? what brand? I still think 8 years running hard is pretty good for "junk" Merc parts?? do Merc pistons have a tendancy to break alot?

Speedman

also, with "new" pistons from a diff manufacturer, will I have to run diff gas or set things like the TPS or timing differently? I would think not??

GPI Racing

Speedman,

8 years on those is not out of the ordinary. But don't put them back in. The aftermarket has several nice alternatives. The Vertex is a nice piece. As is the offering from Pro Marine (800-621-7761) . We have a ART piston we use that has been flawless. All the mentioned pistons have more than twice the silicon content and run less than $140 each with rings. You wouldn't have to reset anything as the piston has no effect on the settings.

Randy

jay j

97 PRO MAX

MINE WENT LAST MARCH AND I WENT THRU IT WITH THE HI PO ROD BEARINGS, NEW REEDS(trust me they are chipped if you have used it)
new pro piston, rings wrist pins. the set i paid about $500.00 for 'em, broke them in and it ran all season without a hitch. still has very good compression, idles like a dream. oh i did use the 1" spacer the i got from jay in florida that makes them out of plastic, bolted right up no problems.

jay j

pistons

pro marine pistons, the stock replacement turned them 7500rpm probably
hundred times this season or better. the plate is from jay at sst marine
. you can get his number off scream and fly under misc. for sale. mine worked great and the linkage and all supplied was exact and easy to install just required one more gasket. i think price to my door was about $140.00. just leave the thermostats in make sure you cylinders are true,
put them in and have fun. pm me if you need more info or a source on the pistons.

brotherxb03

If you use pro-marine pistons put Mercuty thrust washers on the wrist pins. They had trouble with a new washer they swithed to a while back binding and pulling the piston.