225 promax low water pressure at idle

ROBERT CROSS

I blew the hose going to gauge with compressed air. I havent tackled the poppet valve yet, im not a 100% sure how it comes off.Would the poppet valve effect how the water pisses out the back?
I left the cowl on our 225xPM, was able to move the needed hose's & stuff to get to it. Just take your time...it ain't rocket science, if Jose can do it, you can.

Bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPJndPiVITk

allisonjr

Im pretty sure mine has a bolt in it where the hose shows to be in the video

chad202

Exit the poppit goes to the fitting on top behind the flywheel on your motor. It doesn't have to but from merc that's how it comes.

allisonjr

Here is a photo of what I think is my poppet valve
It hasn't ran hot yet but after I saw the water pressure stay low I quit running the engine

Attachments

njj502

That's the poppet cover. Never seen one plugged like that but ain't seen em all. Wonder why it's plugged? I'd bet someone ran washers & a blocked poppet on it....

allisonjr

What's weird is that as the Rpms climb the gauge will bounce back and forth and then settle like the valve works

njj502

Strange.... That u tube vid was good other than I never jack with the hard plastic seat in the block...

ROBERT CROSS

Last edited:

allisonjr

What would be the purpose to block it off like that? Tony Reynolds did all of the set up and work on my engine before he passed away. He was a former racer so i dont know if it was a perfomance thing or what

90 5.0

260/280/drag don't have poppets right??

Wonder if it has a one piece adapter and is set up like hi po cooling system??

I could be way off here though

chad202

I didnt block off mine but did route it out the back instead of to the top the block. If I remember right, the reason it goes to the top the block is to preheat the water coming into the engine. Promaxes usually are a hot running motor. Mine run 175-180 in the hot louisiana summer. I put the poppit out the back instead of the top cause our water down here is already pretty warm compared other places so no need in preheating the water. I did however leave the poppet in place but cut one coil of the spring off making easier to open and earlier.

allisonjr

Well took the boat out saturday, let the engine run to make sure it wouldnt run hot. Then ran the boat down the water, pressure came up engine stayed cool. Stopped and the water pressure stayed as it should! Only thing that i can i figure is a blockage that i couldnt get to, and i think running the motor pushed it on out. The motor ran great and never ran hot so i was thrilled! Thanks to everyone for the help its always appreciated

whipper

Well took the boat out saturday, let the engine run to make sure it wouldnt run hot. Then ran the boat down the water, pressure came up engine stayed cool. Stopped and the water pressure stayed as it should! Only thing that i can i figure is a blockage that i couldnt get to, and i think running the motor pushed it on out. The motor ran great and never ran hot so i was thrilled! Thanks to everyone for the help its always appreciated
Great to hear!! Thats a good thing to do. ive ideled thew shallow water some times and despite my best efforts worry about picking some sedement up. Once I can open her up I pay close attention to temps and water pressure. If after idle when going 50+ temp come down I know id be good to go. If when running smooth and fast they still climb not so good to go.:beer:

GrandLakeGAR

My Mercury service manual specifies 50 in/lbs on the three water pump cover nuts, seemed way to tight to me and much higher than I ever used before. But after rupturing a gasket or two over the years I asked Weed at European Marine if that was really correct and he said yes. I gritted my teeth and torqued them down to that value, didn't crush or deform the plastic cover and all has been good since then.