2014 3.5L Ecoboost or 2014 5.0L V8???

Allyfishing

I am in the process of getting rid of my gas hog F250 Superduty Supercrew. I like my fellow Allison brother Allidrenalinrush (works for Shell in Texas) but I refuse to fund his entire retirement plan!!!!

the 3.5L 6 cyl Ecoboost comes standard with 3.31 rear and the 5.0L V8 comes with 3.55 rear. I'm leaning toward the 5.0 due to it being an 8 cyl and not a 3.5 turbo charged baby motor.

What say yee???

Bobalouie

Everyone I know who has an eco boost engine swears by it, in fact I read a magazine article one time that the authors thought that the 3.5 liter Eco Boost engine had better performance then the 6.2 liter engine in the Ford Raptor.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know the ecoboosts had some issues the first couple years. Mileage doesn't seem to be as good as expected but they have power for days. I've read a lot over on rv.net about them. Just gotta sift thru the ford sucks chevy sucks dodge sucks crap.

GotMyAlly

The ecoboost is the 1 thing that 'almost' convinced me to switch brands. When I was buying they were brand new and I was leary of a multi-hour tow with the turbo spooled up nearly the entire time. Historically, turbos have been designed for very intermittent use. But so far, I haven't heard of any failing from being flat worn out. Duane has had some of the condensation issues with his though. Sounds like more of an annoyance than something that will leave you on the side of the road though. Maybe he'll weigh in and tell you more.

One thing I've learned, always opt for the lower gear ratio. The highway gears they put in them 'might' get 1 mpg better if you always run light and set your cruise at 60 on the highway and never brake. But in the real world, I've got the same gas mileage on the interstate, a little better in the city, and a couple mpg better while towing going with the lower gear set. It's a truck.....gear it like one.

njj502

I'd go EcoBoost all day long. The turbos are designed to be up on boost all the time so I wouldn't think twice about hooking anything to it and dragging it across country w/o stopping. I'd put $100 on the table saying a EcoBoost will run circles around the 5.0 in driveability, response, punch and towing ability. No more up shift/downshift in the hills... just add boost and go!

Vance

All the torque is in the low end Craig. I think the eco makes the same amount of torque at 1500-1700 rpms that my v8 makes at 5500. should be good for towing. Friend has an eco boost and he says as soon as he puts a trailer behind his truck his gas mileage tanks. My friend is also goofy so I wouldn't take his word for it.

Brack

Just go and test um both,......Ive had my 2013 ecoboost just about a year now,..it pulls our 22 ft Tritoon with ease,..........and the Allison, you dont even know its back there,.............and with the 3:31's it will still smoke the tires

when I order this truck I was wanting 3:55's.......but at the time they were backordered,

We just drove back from south Texas yesterday......19-20 mpg

GotMyAlly

I'd be interested to see how an aftermarket set of truck tires affects the gas mileage of the ecoboost. The glorified, wimpy passenger car tires that all the manufacturers put on them from the factory are good for MPG and that's about it. I lost about 2 mpg when I put my load range E tires on.

RBT

Most of the guys around here say the Eco boost is great till you work it, then the mileage goes out the window. Guess it depends on what you do with it. If I were buying new, I would look long and hard at the new ram Eco diesel. Supposed to be amazing.

whipper

Eco all the way.So much torque youll save your brakes.:big grin
I towed a friends wake setter with a new platinum both were full of gas. Im not sure what that boat weighs but it was up a winding hill and down again. Didnt even know it was there. Boat & tandem trailer must be at least 5000lb? He loves it and so did I.

njj502

What truck doesn't tank when u put somehi g behind it? My 99 silverado gets 16 unloaded and 12 loaded...

ROBERT CROSS

I'd be interested to see how an aftermarket set of truck tires affects the gas mileage of the ecoboost. The glorified, wimpy passenger car tires that all the manufacturers put on them from the factory are good for MPG and that's about it. I lost about 2 mpg when I put my load range E tires on.
The Burb got taller tires & a PCM re-program for just that reason.
E rated not really needed for the Allison....but the 7700lb RV is another story.

A lot of eco's being used to tow some pretty big Airstreams with good results......according the the folks who are rationalizing the purchase. :rolleyes:

Me.... I still prefer cubic inches as in 8.1 Vortec.

Last edited:

LakeAnna

Just buy an old truck with 4 speed OD... And a solid 350 roller with fastburn heads.

Allyfishing

Great replies!!

I figure that since the 5.0L already comes with the lower gear ratio like Neal stated (3.55 vs the 3.31 standard in the eco) and since the fuel mileage tanks with the Ecoboost that the 5.0l would do the job with as good or better fuel mileage while towing AND everyday driving.

And I'm just not convinced that a smaller cubic inch motor can live with forced turbo power forcing the extra HP out of it for the life of the truck.

RBT

Great replies!!

I figure that since the 5.0L already comes with the lower gear ratio like Neal stated (3.55 vs the 3.31 standard in the eco) and since the fuel mileage tanks with the Ecoboost that the 5.0l would do the job with as good or better fuel mileage while towing AND everyday driving.

And I'm just not convinced that a smaller cubic inch motor can live with forced turbo power forcing the extra HP out of it for the life of the truck.
One guy that does some work for blew up his Eco boost at 71k, 11k out of warranty, 9000 to fix it. Ford won't help him. That being said I am sure there is a story out there like that for every motor from every brand. I have a friend that bleads ford blue and has a fleet, he is a fan of the 5.0. Has 11 trucks, 2 Eco. Says the v8 is his preference.
I have a new ram with the v6, I am getting 650 plus miles to a 25 gallon tank. I have not pulled much weight (4500), it drops the mileage by 3-4 mpg. I bought it over a ford cus it was cheaper.
Frankly, I don't think there is a bad truck. They all have plus's and minus's.

Allyfishing

One guy that does some work for blew up his Eco boost at 71k, 11k out of warranty, 9000 to fix it. Ford won't help him. That being said I am sure there is a story out there like that for every motor from every brand. I have a friend that bleads ford blue and has a fleet, he is a fan of the 5.0. Has 11 trucks, 2 Eco. Says the v8 is his preference.
I have a new ram with the v6, I am getting 650 plus miles to a 25 gallon tank. I have not pulled much weight (4500), it drops the mileage by 3-4 mpg. I bought it over a ford cus it was cheaper.
There's as many stories good and bad as there are truck owners, agreed. I've heard of the trubo issue with shuddering and hesitating when putting the pedal to it in some instances with high moisture situations but also heard that issue was resolved.

You saying you get 26 MPG average and about 4 less when towing with a V6 Dodge Ram?? And that's gas or diesel?

Allyfishing

There's as many stories good and bad as there are truck owners, agreed. I've heard of the trubo issue with shuddering and hesitating when putting the pedal to it in some instances with high moisture situations but also heard that issue was resolved.

You saying you get 26 MPG average and about 4 less when towing with a V6 Dodge Ram?? And that's gas or diesel?

Brack

One thing about the Ecoboost,....they are FUN to drive fer sure!!!!

I think Ive seen where Ford will introduce a 4 cly 2.7 liter ecoboost in the 2015