200XS failure

On Tap

My buddy just suffered a failure with his 2001, 200XS/Gambler. Anyone else ever hear of this?

He was running along (30mph) in some rough water. The thing kind of sneazed then spit, sputtered, and died. When he took the cowl off he found the air pump/compressor had been torn off its mounts and ripped up the inside of the cowl.

Good thing he has the extended warranty!

allisondog69

PUMP

A BUDDY OF MINE DID IT LAST YEAR, HIS BOAT ACCUALLY RUN FOR A WHILE ,WHEN HE GOT BACK IN WE PULLED THE CAWL AND TRIED TO FIGURE WERE THE OIL CAME FROM THEN I NOTICED THE PUMP HAD DESENTAGRATED, (SO THATS WERE THE CHUNCKS OF METAL CAME FROM)NO CLUE WHY JUST FAILED.

JOEALLY

How many hours were on those motors? I've got 90 on mine so far, no problems. Praying that's the way it stays.

xb2003

"he found the air pump/compressor had been torn off its mounts and ripped up the inside of the cowl"

Dang....How rough was it? He was in the wrong boat

On Tap

I wish I could blame it on the rough water to defend the Merc reputation!

He should have it repaired (under warranty) and be ready to run before the ice gets off the water up here!

vcrash

Did it damage the motor or just the air pump? Let us know what may have caused it after he gets her fixed
Thanks
Vcrash

On Tap

The fix

They ended up replacing the air pump, mounting brackets, belt, belt cover, and plugs.

Runs great!

They said they had seen this on a few opti-max's too. Not sure what caused it.