200HP=??? Setback

Sking

Have a XB2002, with 175 XRi, having heads shaved to pick up a little. Currently have 5 1/2" of setback with a 150. I am considering adding 2" spacers for a total of 7 1/2" of setback. Would like to know from some experience here if I should do this or not.
thanks

Jimxb02

Setback

If I read your post right you will be changing out a 150 for a 175 with mods. It will be easy to add the 2" spacers when you make this change-- I would do it, the extra setback will help top end speed.

Sking

thanks for the info Jim, I have the lower sent off now to Titus for mod's. just was'nt sure about the additional setback. I called Allison and they were recomending 8" but there jackplate is $550 so thought I could save a little with the spacers.
thanks again

J

John Richied

I think on your set up more like 9-11" will be better for you.

Allison sells a manual jackplate that you can adjust from like 9

Sking

john, thanks for the reply, someone over on the S&F site has a 9" Allison jackplate for sale now ($275). It is listed as for a 15" mid. I think when I talked to Bill at Allison he said their plate could be used for 15" or 20" by turning the outside plate over. What is your oppinion about just a 9" plate.
thanks

J

John Richied

I happen to have a 9” Allison jackplate and looking at it I have no idea what they mean by turning it upside down.

If you took the whole jackplate and turned it upside down you would have to redrill the transom mounting holes in the jackplate because the transom bolts are not in line vertically, they are off set. If you did that then the raising and lowering bolt mounts would be on the bottom… doesn’t look like a good idea to me.

I would look for the Allison Jackplate that you can adjust in three setback increments, it has holes in the side plates to adjust for a 15” and 20” shaft. Plus I think you are going to want more setback then 9” and this jackplate will allow you to do some testing with one jackplate.

If your that hooked on a 9” manual jackplate I may sell the one I have for a 20” shaft engine.

Dave Davis

more=better

I think more is better w/ less horsepower, or that's what I've heard before. I had 13.5" of setback on my old XB2002 w/ 150hp. I tried it w/ a manual 8" plate and then added a 5.5" CMC hydraulic onto it for 13.5". I think it was a lot easier to drive and slightly faster. I think a lot of it will depend on what you are wanting to get out of it and the load that you carry. It really comes down to your typical load and the center of gravity and getting the motor farther from the fulcrum point to provide more leverage to help carry the boat. Let us know more about how you will use the boat and we may be able to provide more assistance. You may check out the allison owners page and see what some of the other setups have. :D

On Tap

Flip it?

I had an Allison jack plate for a 15" mid on my SuperSport and it could not be used on the 20" motor. I don't think you can just flip any parts around to make it work. Maybe consider other brands to reduce cost. Detwieler and CMC make great jacks. I just bought a CMC 10" manual plate for my Hydrostream from Rickracers.com for just over $200.00.

Good luck!

Sking

thanks to all for the info, maybe I did not understand Bill at Allison, think I will call him again, sound like the adjustable plate from Allison is the way to go, thanks John for your input, the knowledge available from this site really helps a novice..
Dave Davis, I'm mostly a recreational boater, this is a 1988 XB2002 std bass boat with livewell, not sure about weight. I don't carry much additional equip. other than 2 batt. & trolling motor.

Sking

just talked to Bill at Allison, had to check on status of my new seats anyway, ordered their adjustable jackplate, its 10"-11 1/4"-12 1/2", black powder coated, sounds great..thanks again to all for help..

J

John Richied

I think you did the right thing... that plate will be the only one you ever need on your XB-2002.

Sking

hi john, ya I know your right, sometimes my poverty mind set gets the best of me!! Have my lower sent off to Titus now for mods and getting ready to sent the heads to jay smith. I have to put one piston in this motor but other than that hope to run it this season. Compression was 120-125 across the board except one cyl was 112. piston has scuffed the cyl lightly so I am going to clean up the cyl and put in a new piston. Should be fun..