2003 200 efi. Can it go faster?

jeffk2

I have a 2003 200 efi. Can I improve performance or should I just sell it and look for 225pm? It is stock and runs great. I am just trying to deside if I should put the money in it. Lower unit work, solid mts., ect.
any ideas?

jeffk2

?

I would have thought someone would have something to say.

B

BP

What are you looking to accomplish, what's your set up now, what hull do you have and what are your mechanical abilities?
Lots of variables.
Most of the time, you are better off just trading up rather than doing or paying someone else to do mods that don't always produce the desired results.

K

Kevin from FL

Jeff,

I used to have a 1997 200 EFI on my XB-2003 also and went to a new in the box 225 PM in 2001. I couldn't justify the expense of tweaking the 200 and making it less reliable IMHO. That's just me.

Like Bob said, what are you after in the long run? You may want to trade your engine in or sell it out right for a larger engine than the 225.

I've been very happy with my 225 and have no desire to move up in power.

whipper

If I remember right you have a GS right Jeff. I have a 225pm and while I am stisfied with the performance it offers on my GS I do feel the need for more power now. Its a craving/addiction I guess. I cant justify for lots of reasons to get a bigger motor at presant,but for a lot less dollars I can do some simple serious up grades to my 225.You can on your 200 aswell like one thing im doing is getting a Brucato ACU that will broden your power band and give you a higher RPM limmit. If you call Tony there he will discuss what limmit you will get baised on what you want,$950.00. Thats the simplest hp/performance upgrade you can make. Now on the other hand if you spent that 1000 bucks and the money you can get for your 200 will that buy you a nice 225pm? The 225 stock will give you maybe better performance than an upgraded 200? I like the 225 for skiing and water sports because they idle so nice compared to a 260-280. They really never load up. If I had two Allisons I would have a drag motor on my other one to quench my thirst when the family isnt with me. Its really like kevin and Bob said depends on what your use is. If ya got a 225pm there light 398lbs and make your GS go 90 for sure. Not sure what your 200 will do? A 225pm with a new ACU limmit at 7500 proped for 7200 will do over 95+! So theres what Im looking for,hope this helps a bit. Ive seen a few 225pm go for 4500-6000 99-2001 lately so what ever your 200 is worth and the diff gets ya going 90,s. A good 280 would be sweet to but looking at around 7500-10500 for a good one, 100mph. I seen your motor on S&F any bites yet. If ya went down a year or two you could get a 250 XS that would be a nice motor for your GS also. Now if I had a super clean 2003 200efi I would trade or sell it and go bigger no Question after thinking about it. My 225pm is a 96 so I would have to lay out to much cash or I would have gotten a 300pm already. When I can thats the motor for me. Then when I buy a new 24ft GS I will can keep the motor :mrgreen: James

jeffk2

set up

1994 gs, 200 efi 2003, 20" 1:87 stock lower. running 2.75" below pad now.
land and sea manual jack plate, plus set back. I think total is 9 or 10.
72mph at 6200 24" trophy plus. I think the rpm is correct. I know the prop and I know the speed on gps. so from my cal. and what the tach says 6200. at this point the limiter is beeping. I would like to run solid 85mph. I know with a bobs and a bigger prop it will run better. My concern is I will have to run a 28 pitch at 6200 to get 83-84. this will mean a sluggish hole shot and mid with only top end. my lake is short only 1/2 running room. so my next question is do I run a bobs and a 26 or 27 in the high 70's and live with it. If I'm not going to run in the 80+ do I need a nose cone other than to keep psi up. however from what i know to get the speed I need 1/4 below pad. so I need low water pick to get to 80mph. This sound like a mean circle ( should have bought a 225pm).
The acu sounds like a good idea I just need to turn a 26 at 6600. to get low 80s

LAAllison

Sell it. You won't be happy with 80, you'll want more. With a 225PM 90 with good hole shot is within reach with very little work. I use 26Trophy for my ski prop and it'll run 85-86 GPS a switch to 28 chopper gets me to 90.
A 30 chopper and Tony's ecu may get me up in JR's company.

Art

Roll Tide

hack02

28's aren't necessarily sluggish out of the hole. A 28 is my first choice, quick enough out of the hole, good top end, and they keep the rpm down for long cruises. Almost three inches below the pad is way low. Spend some money on low/water gearcase work and raise the engine and your 200 will be a whole different animal.

whipper

Hack is right if ya dont sell your motor invest in a bobs and you will be relearning how to drive! ;) You should be able to hit 85 or more with a good hole shot as long as your 1/4 bellow or even for that matter. My best hole shot is with my moter 1/4 below or 1/2 at the highest and nutral to a touch poss trim. She leaps out on plain instantly and very little trim after that to top speed,that with a 28 drag4. Im loosing 20% power at my elevation 2500ft so if your at 1000 or less your 200 can do close to the same! But not with out a low water pickup. Again if you can swap your newer 200 for a 225 or a 280 ready to go you will be happier in the long run, I would.It sound like you just want it all and its hard to get with less cubes with out spending more dollars. SVS,ACU, shaved heads 34cc,lower unit, then youll have a rocket!!! Or call Jaco or Glen Renalds and see what you can swap for? Thats race ready ::>< Good Luck Big desitions. James

jay j

merc 200

i have a friend that just bought a grand sport and we moved his bone stock 200efi over to it. added bobs cone($350.00) solid mounts($55.00)
27 omc srx ran 83.4 two people 20 gallons of gas and was a dream to drive. motor idles great accelerates great and all on 87 octane pump gas
sent the ecu to rapair and moved the limiter to 7200 with hopes of seeing
88-89mph. btw i drove to 77mph with 4 adults in it. its all in what you want to do, but remember what youu have is a great combo and with a little money invested, alot less than trading, you will still have a respectable rig.i still have a dealer licsence with bobs and rapair and will help you or anybody with anything needed from them.

jeffk2

cool

What rpm did you have at 83.4 and the 27 pitch. If I could put solid mounts and a bob's and get 84 I would be very happy. What did he have bob do, a standard cone on center or did they install it 3/8 below ? I think I want to modify my motor for now It's a great motor and if I can get into the 80's I will be happy for a while. Brucato said he can't do my ecu know but will be able to in the future. At that point If I can get 6600-6700 rpm it will be good. Any other idea's would be great.

whipper

200efi

Jeff ya know just buy putting on the bobs cone with the low water pickups you can run your prop shaft even to 1/4 inch bellow the pad and the speed and rpm will be there too in a way you never imagined. If I drowned my prop 2+ inches below the pad see would act like a dog in comparesen no lie! There was just a post with that problem earlier today.He was getting 6200 with a 225 and a 28 pitch running 3/4 below. The general consenses was that he should be able to hit the limmiter at 1/4 bellow! I know this to be true bin there done that. I goof around some times lowering the moter and trimming her out to jump clear out of the water{propstand} and have gunned her down low its around were your at and theres no way I can get a hole shot from there let alone good top end. Engine 1/4 bellow trimmed nutral to slight poss and she will leap on plane a run hard to the top. With your prop near the srface theres a lot less drag on the lower unit and the prop so rpms go up and so does your stearn so your ridding were the hull is ment to be just on the pad. Im confadent that you can easaly hit 80,s with a good 28 chopper11 or ET. I would stick to 25-27 in a 4 blade though. You should be 81-82 with real good punch with a 25 trophy or hydomotive 1/4 bellow. 74 at 6200 rpm is a high slip factor to high that is because there is to much drag. At 6200 rpm if you were 1/4 bellow the pad you would be doing 79-80 on GPS. your running almost a 14 slip and a gs set up right should be in the 7-8 % slip factor. At 6500 7% with a 27 your at 83.5mph. At 6600 your 85 or 84 and change. A good 3 blade speed prop a BoBs nose cone at 1/4 -1/8 bellow and this is what you should get. James

jimmyb

your 2003 200 EFI is NOT easy to modify for power... it has a motorola ecu and the brucato ecus wont hook up to the wiring harness on the newer merc motors.

99.999% of the time you are better off keeping your motor stock, selling it, and buying the power you want

with that said, if you are happy with the performance of a 200 it might be worthwhile to add mounts and a LWP. However you still might consider trading around and trying to get your hands on a 200xs... which already has solid mounts and usually a sportmaster... plus it will perform a bit better than the 200efi and get much better mileage

jeffk2

James, I think my slip is about 5%, my formula is 6200 x 24 x .000947 / 1.87. Then I multiply by .95 for 5% slip. I get exactly what is on my gps
71.5. Actually my problem is 61/6200 rpm limit. I agree with you on all of it. I have to rely on you guys for advise or just burn the cash and learn the hard way. I was actually looking for a 225 or 260 when I first got the hull. But, listening to everyone talk about these thing going 80 with a 150 and 85-90 with a 200 I figured 200 would be plenty. The only mistake I made was not understanding the diff. between std. rpm and a promax motor. Or. buying a older motor that the ecu can be changed. I think you will be right about going up 2 1/2 " because right now when I am trimming at 71.5 I can feel the boat wanting to take off almost like a another gear, about this time I hit the limiter. I have a nice side pic of me going 71 I can sen you.

jay j

BOBS

we had the standard cone with the torque tamer, actually this motor came from merc with a 6600 rpm limit at which i was running with that speed.
as for the newer box, i do not know if rapair can mod it or not, but i am sure thaey can if they have done the motorola boxes on the 280's.

tekajo

I am not sure where you live but pull up http://www.lawrenceburgmarine.com/ He usually has a few used promax 225. He will give you a fair trade in on your motor. His reputation is excellent. He is the largest Bullet dealer in the country. I traded a faststrike 175 for a clean low hour promax for 3200.00. I am thrilled with the motor. Just a thought