20" on a drag

FLYING BUTCHER

Hey Rocket or any of you racers, do you know of anyone running a 20" shaft of a Allison drag? I want to give that a try. I believe one Ally boat in IHBA runns it but not sure.

Rocket

Bill,,, Why? :?

Can't you get at least a 15" on your boat? The higher the power head,,,,,,,, the more likelyhood of it "Hook'n"!! :shock:

IMHO= The lower the center of Gravity the better!!! :D

bishopg

"Hook'n"

The higher the power head,,,,,,,, the more likelyhood of it "Hook'n"!!

How does the height of an engine above water cause one to hook? I can understand the height interfering with wind resistance. Just asking.

Rocket

Re: "Hook'n"

bishopg said:
The higher the power head,,,,,,,, the more likelyhood of it "Hook'n"!!

How does the height of an engine above water cause one to hook? I can understand the height interfering with wind resistance. Just asking.
This is just "My opinion"!!! :shock:

But the higher the center of Gravity, the more leavridge that 300lb power head has on a 750-1000lb hull! :( The lower you can keep ALL your weight,,, The better the hulls can handle SPEED!!!! :D

But that's just what I think! :roll:

J

John Richied

Oh that’s not a good thing… Bill’s too old for hookin’.
Heck he’s almost retired! YAHOO!

It would be interesting to see someone like Bill take a 20” midsection run the race boat, change the mid to a 15” and have clock times to see if one is better then the other…

With a 20” your exhaust tuner should be out of the water compared to a 15” on the holeshot.

FLYING BUTCHER

HOOKIN??

RETIRED YESTERDAY!!! Hookin is somethin you have to pay for and may cause gun repair isn't it!! I have two 20" lower units for 2 different power heads I want to race. I don't want to change everything to 15" unless I have to. I was just wondering if anyone has seen it done on a drag Ally? I believe the guys from Vegas )IHBA)run their drag Allison with a 20" but not sure. Thanks for input guys. As always great talking with you last night John. Very thoughtful of you to call and wish me happy retirement.

badbait

Retired yesterday. Well that explains why the flag in front of our WinCo Food Store was flying at half mast yesterday.

J

John Richied

Well that explains why the flag in front of our Winco Food Store was flying at half-staff yesterday.
Too funny badbait :p :p :p

I was driving by a retirement home and saw two older gentlemen helping each other to get off the park bench; I’m not sure why you two came to mind… maybe it was because they were friends helping each other out? Nope, that wasn’t it… :p :p :p

As always it was good talking to you too ole friend. There are only two things you need to worry about now. How fast can you run your boat in a drag race and how long it’s going to take you to make it to the restroom; especially on that long road trip to Texas… Best of luck to you!

Rocket

Re: HOOKIN??

FLYING BUTCHER said:
RETIRED YESTERDAY!!! Hookin is somethin you have to pay for and may cause gun repair isn't it!! I have two 20" lower units for 2 different power heads I want to race. I don't want to change everything to 15" unless I have to. I was just wondering if anyone has seen it done on a drag Ally? I believe the guys from Vegas )IHBA)run their drag Allison with a 20" but not sure. Thanks for input guys. As always great talking with you last night John. Very thoughtful of you to call and wish me happy retirement.
I'm not sure if Kenny from Vegas runs a 20" or not! If my old brain is any good,,, I think it was a 15"! :?

Denise that race's with SDBA,, she runs a 20" and has NO problems at all!!! :D

Bill,, I'm sure it will be just fine!!! :D :D Are you in Texas yet???? 8)

FLYING BUTCHER

movin

We are headed to Robson Ranch just outside of Denton Texas. Taking engine and maybe power heads on Sunday. Last trip down end of the month. Got a nice e-mail from Sam Baker (Scary fast fame) and he lined me out on what to do to run a 20" on a drag. If you got your ears on Sam, thank you very much for all the good info. Watch out Texas the ole fat guy is headed your way!!

GrandLakeGAR

Hey, Bill. Welcome to the "Every Day's a Saturday Club". Getting old is a steep initiation fee but all the rest is great, LOL. Get settled and then come up and see me and bring Murry too. How about a pic of the Robson Ranch spread? Sounds like another SouthFork to me. Regards, GAR

FLYING BUTCHER

Ole dog's club

Hey George good to hear from you. I tried to e-mail you a few times but you must have changed your address. Leaving today or tomorrow (retired no hurry) for firs trip down. Meeting up with the Murry man to unload powerheads in an airport hanger I have rented to keep boat (soon to be boats!!) we will be up to see you and wet a line when we get settled. Take care ole friend

badbait

Now Butch if you get back there and find your not catching any fish. You know you can always shoot me an e-mail and I give you some tips. I wouldn't do that for just anybody.

Rene

Probationary User
I race in DSRA and myself and 4 others run the 20" mid on the XR2001 and never had any problem, in fact it was a 20" on the boat that took second and we have about 17 boats in our class