2 vs. 4 stroke motors

Jhanson

Can some folks weigh in on the 2 vs. 4 stroke motors... many folks tell me to stay away from 2 stroke motors, but seems like Allison boats use 2 stroke motors... Is a 1998 225 Promax a good motor and are they prone to issues? Thanks.

Jhanson

Except that it’s old a 225 Promax is ideal. Good for 1000 hours, lighter than any 4 stroke, powerful. I sold mine for a 200XS ROS. Ask in 10 years if that made sense.
Thank you! What happens after 1,000 hours?? 1,000 seems doable.

Ally-Sun

The ProMax's are awesome engines. They are strong, tough, and still fairly simple when the time comes to diagnose a problem. They do like their gas though. At best you can figure around 4-4.5 mpg. If hammering on her drop that down to about 3. Two common weak points on them when you get up in hours. The plastic caged rod bearings and the piston ring locator pins. I just rebuilt my ProMax with over 1,000 hard hrs. on it this past winter and both were in the process of happening in my engine. It could have popped at any minute, I was very lucky. I see you have been asking about an XB-2003. That hull with the ProMax is an awesome combination. Just take your time with being a newbie and don't trim the engine too high. It will take time to get the speed out of the boat. Yet in the interim, you will have an amazing boat that handles like a dream up to @60 mph. One that will also take boat waves and chop like a champ! As you get the feel for her you can increase speed in @5 mph increments. Eventually you will be flying in the 90 mph range and feel more comfortable then when you first started doing 60. For future reference, you can get a rebuild done for around $5K. Give or take $1K with who does the work. Or if it's a good running, good compression/leak down engine and you wanted some trade-in dollars. You could sell it for around $6K, depending on overall condition and which lower unit it has. (2.5L Sportmasters in good condition are worth near their weight in gold) All that being said you are asking about 2 vs 4 stroke engines. The XB-2003 will handle a new Mercury 4 stroke 150 very well from what I have researched. That engine will push the XB-2003 into the upper 70's. I have heard take off and mid range are very good. Not neck snapping like say a 225 ProMax, but you are down 75 hp. The problem with going any higher in HP in the 4 strokes is weight. At well over 500 lbs the big HP 4 strokes are just too much for that hull in my opinion. Now the great bonuses on the 4 stroke 150 are...AWESOME fuel mileage (@10+ mpg), great reliability, and they are very quiet. The Mercury 4 stroke 150 sells for @$12K. I HOPE this helps and feel free to PM me anytime if you have any questions. You are in good hands with all the knowledge on this Forum. In closing, you won't regret buying an Allison if it's the size and type of boat you want. They are the best boats ever built. Their craftsmanship, quality, attention to detail are unmatched. Take care and good luck with your decision and purchase.

Last edited:

Jhanson

Thank you! I really appreciate all that info you wrote out, very helpful! I wish I knew about motors, I envy folks that have that skill set. What else can one do other than have a compression check done on the motor before buying it? I guess at some point you have to take all the factors in, hours being told the motor has on it, compression check and take a risk. I guess nothing is 100%.... It makes me nervous buying a motor built in 1998, but these Allison’s and there motors seem to hold their value very well!

Lotus 50

Leak down is said to be better then compression. My old Promax had a tired CLE that was expensive to rebuild. If Reynolds still has the used 200XS it‘s worth a look. Fast and fuel efficient. Pretty complex compared to a Promax though

BigRWater

Can some folks weigh in on the 2 vs. 4 stroke motors... many folks tell me to stay away from 2 stroke motors, but seems like Allison boats use 2 stroke motors... Is a 1998 225 Promax a good motor and are they prone to issues? Thanks.
In another thread, you mention that fishing is the goal... ...a 4-stroke motor will limit your abilities when it comes to fishing.

BigRWater

My problem is when fishing, Hearing something worth racing comes by. LOL
That is funny. I Understand!
In the few local tournaments I fish with with nephew, the bigger, badder motors on these giant new boats are generally loaded with all of the tackle they own, and then weather conditions, means I can usually beat 'em to the hole going safely 30 to 60 mph. However when coming back in on a good weather day we have the "Wave Maker" boats that the recreational boater's now surf behind. Last Sunday I came back in going about 30 on average on a low wind day.
Yes, it is just the extra weight. On a perfect day, with low boat/barge traffic, anyone can fish as long as she floats... ...just not very many perfect days up here in southeast Washington. The wind likes to blow in the gorge!

SLOmofo

The Gorge. On vacation one year pulled over to watch two wind surfers, one had fallen down in the high surf. Walked around the rig and found a almost flat tire on the boat trailer. It was so windy I hadn't noticed it because of the wind.