2.6 yamaha

GotMyAlly

A friend of mine bought this motor 2 yrs ago and it's sat in his barn ever since. I helped him swap it onto his XB02 a couple months ago, got it 90% hung but never finished up the loose ends like wiring in the tach, temp, etc. Cranked it up in the driveway, but haven't water tested it. Now due to family reasons, he needs to sell.

It's got hydrotech heads, fiber reeds, big carbs, and a hydrotech cowl. PLUS, a spare lower unit. Both are coned with LWP.

Motor is still in break-in from a fresh rebuild before he bought it. It literally has zero hours other than running on the hose for 5 minutes in the past 2 yrs.

Pics were taken when he bought it. I'm helping him sell due to family issues, so I'll have the motor in my possession this weekend and get some fresh pics, but it looks virtually the same other than some extra dust.

$4400 OBO

662-420-9081

Attachments

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

I remember that motor.

If he has all the goodies for it, it should be producing 265ish HP at the powerhead. GOBS of torque Probably get close to a 245 Merc in performance....sans the R's

Darth VMAX

I basically have that motor... just not the cowl & reeds and I have the lightweight flywheel.

I sure will Neal

fnshrmaster

I can't believe this is still for sale. My brother has the same vintage Yamaha on his Checkmate, it has been dead reliable. Always starts and never a hiccup. Must be everyone prefers black motors.

GotMyAlly

Got a lot of interest, but I think the hold-up is that everyone wants to talk to the builder (Bill Kemp) to know everything that went into the build, and he has apparently dropped off the face of the earth.

Rusrog

I tried to get in touch with Bill Kemp. Have not heard from him in a couple of years. I remember this motor but I never heard anything about what it truly is...

GotMyAlly

The big question that I've got from several potential buyers is, what kind of porting was done internally. That I can't answer...probably only Bill Kemp could tell you - short of tearing down the motor.

I cranked it up on the hose this weekend. Sounds MEAN!

Rusrog

They do sound good. They idle nice and the carbs on those motors are GREAT!

Did you happen to check the compression?

GotMyAlly

I have not, since it's a fresh build and still in break-in. But if you're interested, I can round up a gauge and check it.

Rusrog

Don't do that on my account. Rest assured though if I am ever in your area, I may show up at your door with a pair of new head gaskets, a compression gauge and some measuring tools!