1991 2.5 200 cheap

JOEALLY

Anyone looking for a cheap motor? This motor came on the boat I bought to re-do. I've ran it a couple of times. I'm not a carb guy. I'm looking for a efi pro max.

Motor has new plugs & drilled exhaust. I pulled the powerhead and put new gaskets on the tuner & exhaust plate.

Lower cowl & mid cleaned up nice. The top cowl really needs to be sanded, some filler & painted.

The stock 200 case goes with the motor. The skeg has been shortened, I'm guessing to grind off chips or gouges or whatever. It does not appear to have been welded on.

The Sportmaster is already spoken for and does not go with motor.

This motor has aggravated me and I'm done with it

It will run perfect for a few miles at wot, turning a 27 hydromotive 4 blade 6k Rpms but then it starts loosing a little power and won't turn over 5k Rpms. Let it sit a little while and it runs perfect again for about 2 miles and same thing happens.

I'm not a mechanic and I'm tired of tinkering on it, it's time to go fishing, might be something simple, I do not know or have time to work on it. Compression is 111-114 on all 6.

I have a cheap auto parts store gauge but I've checked it 3 times and it has been the same each time.

I'll take $1300 for entire motor & a crappy 25 tempest if you want it.

Shipping not included.

Call or text 251-714-0518 anytime

LakeAnna

Joe those are great motors I'm suprised your having so much trouble... Somebody will take that off your hands in a hurry. What does the compression look like on it?

JOEALLY

Compression is 111-114 with my cheap gauge. It may very well be something simple but I found a 99 225 pro max local and I'm ready to fish and not tinker on it.

SLOmofo

Hopefully the problem isn't the boats fuel or electrical system . If it is you'll have the same type problem with any engine you mount on it.
Screen on the in tank fuel pick up getting pluggeg with stuff in the bottom of the tank. Fuel hose breaking apart or collapsing. Restricted tank air inlet. Anti syphon valve restricting the flow. A voltage drop limiting necessary amount of voltage.

JOEALLY

Hopefully the problem isn't the boats fuel or electrical system . If it is you'll have the same type problem with any engine you mount on it.
Screen on the in tank fuel pick up getting pluggeg with stuff in the bottom of the tank. Fuel hose breaking apart or collapsing. Restricted tank air inlet. Anti syphon valve restricting the flow. A voltage drop limiting necessary amount of voltage.
True, so far I know that:

1. The fuel line and bulb from tank to motor (and to carbs) is brand new with new in line filter.
2. The pick up tube in the tank does not have a screen on it.
3. The air "vent" next to the pickup tube is open.
4. The batteries are brand new and show 12.8 volts

I don't know anything about the anti syphon valve.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since you only lose 1000 rpm I would say you are losing just one cylinder. Coil or switchbox breaking down. Since it is repeatable I would bet an ignition piece.

JOEALLY

Since you only lose 1000 rpm I would say you are losing just one cylinder. Coil or switchbox breaking down. Since it is repeatable I would bet an ignition piece.
Very well could be.

The thing is, even after I got the bugs worked out, it would still be a carb motor and I'm just not comfortable with the carbs. I'm spoiled to the efi & dfi motors.

chester8420

I really wish I had seen this earlier. I blew my 200 last week and I really need a CHEAP motor. I was thinking about bolting my grandad's old tiller steer 18hp evinrude fastwin to the jack bracket!