1987 XB2002 Bassracer owner

GaryCorbett

Well, please don't count me out... ...maybe we could both visit North Dakota at the same time.
We may be going up to my wifes sisters place near Ottawa Ontario in September. But ontario will as far as we will go. I take my small car to save on gas but if i had the boat sold i would take the truck to haul it. Gas would be about 400 + more for the trip

BP1

Steve had sent me some pics in the course of an e-mail exchange I had with him. Looks like your present boat.

GaryCorbett

Yes, that is her! Great to get these. It would be great to see it back in the races with a merc on it again.

BP1

Its identical to my 89 except for I have a Mariner Alien Cowl and the rounder torpedo console. I also have the newest console with the little windshield to install If I ever get around to it

GaryCorbett

Thanks for the photos! Really appreciated. I am going to give somebody the chance to repatriate the boat and put a merc on it. It would be nice to see it raced again.. I am 66 now and done with going fast. The boat is too dangerous with the heavy 460 lb omc 3 litre on it. It needs a lighter motor and a new home. I wont separate it but the new owner will need to put a merc on it. I dont want to be responsible for an accident. At 66 i also dont want to mess with trying to sell the omc separately. Somebody else can do it.

poorboy

So I assume it's officially for sale. How much do you need in American dollars for the complete rig?

Also..I'd like to see the 3 pictures mentioned above in post #24....I can't see them.

Thanks,
David

poorboy

Gary,
I understand the logistics of where you are and I'll take it for $9,000.00 USD cash. I'll send you a private message to arrange the purchase.

It'll be coming to a good home where it will probably spend the rest of it's years.

Thanks,
David

GaryCorbett

She is officially sold to a Texan. I am pleased that it will be repatriated soon to the USA and will once again be graced with a mercury. It would be nice to see it raced again as well. I think that Steve Heintz would be very happy too.

David Lanham

Some History:

I owned this boat for a few years.

Had a 1995 225 Promax on it for a while and a 1996 2.5 SS 260 as well.

I'm thinking in the 2007 time frame ish, I discovered that it had a wood transom and it was soft.

At that time, I could not hire Allison to fix it as they were too busy. I think this boat is ser #9.

Allison said, if memory serves that 1 - 12 have wood; 13 and up are composite.

I then sold it to Steve. Sometime time later he convinced Allison to fix it. He spent a ton of money on it. I can't remember how they replaced it but I do know it was not wood. No doubt is still good to go. I kept in touch with Steve off and on prior to him passing away.

More History: I purchased the 95 Promax from Baker Marine (North of Chicago). Steve happened to be at the store when I was test driving the newly installed motor on this same boat. I let Steve drive it for quite awhile and to coach him on how to keep an Allison on the pad.

This boat has a great color scheme and pin stripping to match the Merc HP cowl.

There's an old VHS Allison video that someone on this board duplicated and sold em. Shows old video clips of several Allisons haling tail; one of them being Glen Reynolds really haling tail in an XR. This boat is in this VHS video.

Good luck where every it ends up.

BigRWater

Congratulations to the owner! What a beauty. I like everything about this boat. To the new owner, Let me know if she is ever for sale.

GaryCorbett

New transom and pad blueprinted. I think steve said it was a new aluminum transom. Great stuff. Thanks Dave for the history. I also spend a ton of money on her. I have enjoyed the boat over the 16 years i have owned it even with the very heavy OMC which makes it very dangerous to drive. I am so glad it is going back to the southern USA. I could have sold it a number of times up here but it would not be appreciated. At age 66 my interests and needs have changed. My young grandchildren wont go in the allison, they are scared to death of it. We have a Fish and Ski that they are quite comfortable in. It sure would look good with a 2.5 with short mid section and nice matching pin stripes on the cowling. Would like to see some pictures once its done.

poorboy

David L,
Do you know any history for this boat before you owned it in the 90's. Who owned it new or possibly who you got it from?
Thanks,
David

David Lanham

Got it from Wayne Duke in Gainesville, FL. Seems like he was more of a broker than an owner operator. I'm thinking at one time he was well known in the Northern FL area for HP outboard boating.

Did you get this rig with both rear hatches (fishing / racing)?

It only had the racing deck when I purchased it. On the way home (I live in S Indiana) I dropped it off at the Allison plant for them to make / color match the standard fishing deck. Darris noticed the pad's lip was sanded off. At the time I had no clue on all the drama over the lip.

He spend a lot of time explaining its importance so I had them blue-print the bottom which included the lip.

GaryCorbett

Hi - I have both rear hatches - racing fairing which makes the whole package look nice and the flat one. I also have some extra carpet that steve gave me. He gave me a whole kit and i used most of it. The johnson has an oil tank so the fuel tank contains raw gas. The tank is stuffed (racing tank).