15r project

Discussion in 'Allison Boat Restorations' started by Bernie, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Bernie

Bernie Member

I normally don't create a new thread about my projects until they are begun. I am pretty excited to get this boat and motor to work on. They are still in Florida but I will be traveling down there on the 22nd to bring them home. The boat has no trailer, so meanwhile I will be working on a derelict trailer to bring it home on. The boat need a transom but the gel looks good in the pics, hope I can save it. My previous projects have all needed paint and all the wood replaced. Here are the "before" pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This motor won't require any attention from me, fully restored. Usually I am fixing old junk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nort

nort Active Member

Subscribed!!
    Get to work man!!
    I'm working on a 15R with my son to get him on the water by the time the ice goes out in the spring.
    You planning to do string steering?

Bernie likes this.
  3. Bernie

Bernie Member

Funny you mention it, I spent some time looking for a helm for a rope/pulley system today. I'm going to look closely at it. If I do it, it will likely be a stock type system connected at the tiller arm (no wing plates) and hopefully hidden behind the gunnels. I will research it some, I know all the racer guys would be aghast if I did this. Not going racing and not crazy about having wires exposed in the cockpit. I had a 14' Glastron with an OMC 3 cyl with that type system decades ago and still remember how smooth the steering was.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  4. nort

nort Active Member

The parts are readily available.
    Allison has all the parts available that they use for the XR01.
    Nydahl & Geiger Tech also make a pile of parts.
    The big thing on the 15R is the cable routing options.
    Mike Winstone (aka TalonKid) had all his cables hidden when he did the steering on his 15R / 12" 2.5 setup.

5. Bernie

Bernie Member

Nort, Thanks. I saw that Wintech has some of the Nydahl plans/prints. I wish there was a helm available on line. The pulleys and springs are available. I need to get the transom replaced before I worry about that though.

6. nort

nort Active Member

Contact Bill @ Allison.
    Tell him what you need.
    The parts used in the XR01 will work fine.
    You may need a longer steering shaft and the forward bearing carrier will likely need to be modified (or you could fabricate your own) to fit the 15R.

Bernie likes this.
  7. Bernie

Bernie Member

Well I am one step further. Made the 1400 mile round trip and got the boat home (literally, it was built just over 100 miles from here) safe and sound, motor tucked away on a stand in the garage. Next step, adding two more sets of bunks to the trailer to support the hull while I work on it. Gettin ready to ITCH.

[​IMG]

8. Bernie

Bernie Member

Oh BTW, the previous owner turns out to be a very knowledgeable and gracious old boat racer and he donated a cable and pulley (behind the dash) helm to the project! WooHoo!

ssv1761982 likes this.
  9. ROBERT CROSS

ROBERT CROSS Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome Aboard Bernie....sweet little boat, love the Tower also. Will be following.
    Good Luck

Bob

Bernie likes this.
  10. Jed

Jed Member

Nice looking R15 Bernie, and welcome. That will be a nice ride with that old 150 TOP. Have fun with the project, and keep the pics coming.

Bernie likes this.
  11. Bernie

Bernie Member

Got the boat supported on the trailer with bunks under each strake (six total) and finally got started with teardown. I cut out the splashwell and began removing the ends of the stringers to get at the rotten transom. The boat has five stringers, the center one of course was rotted. Interesting, the port outside stringer was just a fiberglass shell with almost no wood in it. The starboard outside was not rotted or even wet. The port inside was in good shape and the starboard inside was rotted. Anyway, under the floor was the best part so far. The core sounds solid under there. I was expecting it to be rotted but the tap test sounds excellent. I will be drilling to check for water once I have something to seal it up with afterward, don't have anything to fill holes in the core with right now,and if it is as good as it sounds, once I drill it I want to seal it immediately. Some pics.

20180107_151535.jpg

20180107_151620.jpg

20180110_133030.jpg

20180110_133101.jpg

Now, assuming the core is good, on to transom removal, remaining floor and stringer removal and then start going the other way. Its been 3 years since my last project boat and it feels good to be working on one again.

Bernie

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    ROBERT CROSS and ssv1761982 like this.
  12. Jed

Jed Member

Looks like your moving right along. I like the color. Same color as mine.

IMG_1687.JPG

pkstv and Bernie like this.
  13. Bernie

Bernie Member

Good looking ride! Look like my boats daddy...