150 XR4 / SS2000 set up

Lotus 50

SSS2000
150XR4, Bob's nosecone, G Force tuner, boyeson reeds
8" Detwiler hydraulic jackplate
78 +/- with 26" Hoss Hyperdrive Hilift
80 +/- with 30" Spinelli DR4
close to 1/2" below pad

I'm sure there is more speed there. I haven't done a lot of top speed running, so maybe my driving isn't there yet. Or maybe its set up.

How much is to be gained by raising the motor further?
For 1-2 mph, I'd stay 1/2" below and not worry about bat turns.
For 10 mph I'll push the up button.

My theory is that both these props have too much blade area.
Would I gain a lot with a small ear chopper or a SRX?
Should I start with another 30" wheel or back off to 28?

thanks

SSTOM

XR4 150 SS2000 SET UP

Try running the motor 1/4 below to even with the pad and try to find a 26 or 28 Ally cut chopper. That's my .02 worth. Tom 8)

Lotus 50

why I think more than 80 is reasonable:

1. trailer boat test of SS2000/115 Rude, 80 mph
2. Jim Barnes told me 88-92
3. Mark Smiley was well into the 90's with a lightly modified 150 Promax
4. One of the guys in the PBCC has a VKing/150 into the low 80s

No regrets even if the VKing is slightly faster as the SS2000 is a much better rough water boat. But it would be cool to be faster.

I will sell my Trophy and buy a cut chopper or a small ear chopper or a SRX. I will buy the best condition prop that is relatively local. No dings.

GPI Racing

Keep in mind when setting up for all out speed, (ie. more than your running now) and Mark Smiley can attest to this, the boat will go faster but only at the expence of drivability, acceleration, and overall performance. This is especially true with limited power set ups such as your discribing. It will take a mighty long run for an SS2000 to break 90 with a 150. If this is your goal and you don't mind the lack of punch...go for it. Mark had some very special set up on his rig, tons of set back and lots of height to get the numbers. The boat willl not be a agile at "sub-sonic" speeds and that's my point with this post. I get lots of customers not happy with the "side effects" when going for the bigger numbers. I do think you could get into the mid- 80s without to much trouble though. Just some thoughts...

Randy

FlatOutAlly

Pierson has a clue... :shock:

And I agree..

The slower you go, the quicker you get there. It's all about what you want. If it takes a mile to run a big number, is it worth it? Especially with a smaller motor. Set it up to run where it will with your 150 and you will leave others saying 'as they say', what was that?

FlatOutAlly

Pierson has a clue... :shock:

And I agree..

The slower you go, the quicker you get there. It's all about what you want. If it takes a mile to run a big number, is it worth it? Especially with a smaller motor. Set it up to run on the low/mid end with your 150 and you will leave others saying 'as they say', what was that?

Lotus 50

Message understood.

My variables are engine height and prop.
The jackplate is hydraulic, so I can adjust height. Props are easy to swap.
I will do nothing to the set up to permanently compromise all round running.
I am suspicious adding more setback and its effect on my ability to pull skiers out.

Still, 85-90 with a top end prop would be fun, even if it took a while to get there. Our lake is 3.5 X 11 miles and I have easy water access to Lake Simcoe, which is too big to see across. I have room for long runs on the rare days when it is calm enough to go for it. My old Stream would take a mile to gain the last mph.

Back to where I started. Is there more than 1-2 mph in moving the engine from 1/2 below to something higher?

Am I likely getting close to the limits of the props I have? If so, I should sell my Trophy and then buy something better for top end. The Trophy won't run with the Hoss for speed or acceleration so it is not used. My psychological limit is 4 props max.

By the way, I'm using a 24" Laser for skiing. I would like to try a 22-24" over hub prop. My theory is that a little more slip would be good to get the revs up. The Laser is spooky when raised too high, and I'm still inexperienced enough to want the engine high as it makes the boat easier to drive. The Laser took my old Virage to 70 but I haven't managed that with the SS yet. 90% of the time the water conditions don't allow more than 70 anyway.

One prop to go 70 and pull skiiers. One prop for bragging. I think two is enough.

thanks

hack02

A half of an inch is alot; you might see 3 to 4 maybe even 5 but probably not that much. With some driving experience, seat time, I think your safe at even with the pad, if you watch what your doing. Anything above is the critical area, although it can be done. All setups are different. I've ran mine an inch above with satisfactory results but for all round use, with a fixed plate, I like even. It seems to give decent holeshot and a good handling boat, and also a little forgiving. For starters, I would advise going from a half to a quarter. Run several hours at each setting before changing again. One little tip I like to give guys and I don't hear it often is when your riding around just playing, not running hard, riding by yourself, ride around over trimmed, carrying the front end high, running with the boat really flighty. Hit some waves like this, make some turns, get the feel of the boat when it is borderline out of control. This will help when your running hard and things start to get out of control. Of course when your trying to run correctly, the flatter you can make it run the better, in my opinion.

badbait

I own a SS2000 and have driven a friends SS2000 at the 2004 War Rally. We were at approximately 1400' elevation and having a little grudge race with a 21 bullet with a 300 merc. his boat was fully loaded and we had myself at 180 lbs. and Larry the boat owner at 230 lbs. He runs a 200XS on the boat. The best I could run was 92.8. Solo, I may of been able to run mid nineties. He had a GPS speedo so I think the speeds were accurate. Yes we did prove are point by pulling away from that Bullet. I think we were running an ET prop. With at least 25% less power my guess would be mid eighties for yours.
Set back-if you can put that hull up on the sweet spot without possitive trim, You probably have enough. I run 6" on mine and I believe Larry is running around 12". Don't run anymore than you really need. If you don't have a allison foil on yours get one they sure help to get the nose down faster out of the hole. Larry's boat has a stock sportsmaster on it. At close to sea level with the right prop on a cool day and a little gearcase work it might be upper nineties

Trojanlarry

Bill I run 10.5 inches of setback. BTW the 28 et runs hard. I think though I may give HOSS a call one of these days.