15 inch Mid on an XB2003

HavasuAlly

I know this question has been asked and answered a bazillion times over the years but I can't seem to find the answer.

I would like to install a 2.4 Bridgport with a 15 inch mid on my XB2003. I currently have a 7 inch CMC set back plate with a 5 inch Vance mechanical jack plate.

I thought that I read somewhere that you had to have an Allison plate an put it on upside down ? Am I crazy ?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm at a loss right now..

Thanks,
HavasuAlly

h2oskiier30

You don't have to have an Allison plate, but you do have to have a jackplate made for a 15" motor.

The newer Allison jackplates are convertible from 20" to 15"...simply by flipping the boat side brackets. That's probably what you're thinking of. As far as I know, Allison plates are the only ones that will do that.

procomp

Hydrodynamics makes a 9.5" rapid jack and a 7" ez lift manual jackplate to accomplish what you want to do. Let them know its for an Allison

suicidealli

the older allison jackplates can be put on udside down too, BUT it hangs downs kinda far, and looks funny. it works tho! better off getting a 15" plate. the newer ones have drilled holes so when you flip it, things look correct, also they have the notch on both ends for the aluminum strip. i used a cmc newer style a couple of years ago that worked on a ally with a 15" motor. i bought the 10" that comes in 2 pieces. it has several hole location for the boat side, and the jackplate side. it works on 15", and 20" motors. you might just buy the extension part. i would think on a 2003 10"-12" plate would be good anyway.JMO

roy

roy

HavasuAlly

Thanks for the input guys, I'll just have to try mine and do some flippin around and such..

I guess that the major question is "can you run a 15in mid on an XB2003"?

Thanks,

john w

I guess that the major question is "can you run a 15in mid on an XB2003"? YES you can !!

GotMyAlly

I'd put a hydraulic J/P on my Christmas list if I was gonna run a 15" mid on an 03 so ya can jack it up for idling to clear the snout and lift it up so you don't dunk it with a load in the boat coming off plane, etc.

catfish123

Other than the "looks neat" factor and a possible benefit of a "lower center of gravity", are there any other advantages to the 15" mid? It would seem to me the disadvantages may outweigh the advantages?

Myron

I don't see any disadvantages myself. I do not know if there are any real avantages for normal use either, although having the motor lower the person in the the back is less likely to hit your cowling with a lure, I hate that.

SLOmofo

Just to add going the other way. On my 1994 XB2003 with a 16" mid and an OMCease I couldn't get closer then a 6" set back without clearance problems. Hyd steering and cowl would hit.
Other wise lower center of gravity is the biggest benefit. Others are the Cool/Sound Factor. You just have to learn to blip the throttle just after coming off plane to keep in front of the wave of water created. If you pack enough foam/flotation in the setback and between the ride plate you probably won't have a problem anyway.

AMERICAN

I dont know any disadvantages other then the cost...advantages are the center of gravity,the boat flies better and is more stable...as long as Im flying a allison at high speeds...Ill never go back to a 20" mid....jmo...:beer:

bigtis

I love my set up.
I loved my 15 on my 03 as well.

If you know how to drive an allison, you should know how to set it down off plane without dunking the engine as well. the skid planer under the jack plate makes a HUGH difference in the water coming over the rear in no throttle setdown apps.