13R restoration

Michael

Thought I would share a restoration I just did. The boat had been laying unused and untouched in a boat yard for 10 years. Full of trash, water, had plants growing out of it. There was no structural integrity left. I got the boat home and did not have the energy to tackle it, so it sat for another couple of years. Anyway, got a window of time, and dove in head first and all went pretty well. Sorry no before pictures. First pictures are during restoration. Virtually gutted the boat, and put in a new floor, transom, fixed many holes, cracks etc. All wood was replaced with COOSA board, and the transom was done with a poured product, which was very simple, and seems very strong. Anyway here are some resto pictures.

Attachments

TN XB-21

WOW!!! You are one talented guy :relax:!!! Congratulations on your beautiful restoration.:beer:

Michael

RedAllison - love to do it, but it might be a bit expensive bringing it to me, as I am in Bermuda.
Actually thinking about restoring a 14' that is here, as the 13' turned out ok and not as hard as I expected.
To all of you, thanks for the compliments, I am happy with it, now if I could just get it to go faster.....

charlie cundiff

Probationary User
Can you give me a little more detail to how you did the transom? I have a 13' Alison with the same problems and am weighing options for redoing the transom. Any help is appreciated. By the way, beautiful job on yours!!

Michael

Charlie,
As the deck on these was designed not to be removed, I figured the easiest/best way to tackle this was with a poured product. Plus it would not rot like wood etc.
The most common product is Seacast although it is pricey. I used a product fromArjay Techologies for about half the price.
Wasn't a whole lot of wood left in mine - what was there I removed mostly with a chainsaw and shop vaced out the bits. You leave the inner and outer fiberglass skins intact.Then covered any holes with duct tape so product would not leak out.
Skins are pretty floppy so, I covered a couple pieces of plywood with wax paper and clamped them to either side of transom for support and to keep the desired shape, ie flat. Then poured and waited a couple hours. Removed plywood and had solid tarnsom. No problems to date.
Only used 2-3 gallons of product as wood in transom is not much. Wood only extends just past well, about 32" and down near the bottom is only .75" think.
Worked great for me and I used same product on another boat.
Any questions email me at boataddict@hotmail.com