Search results

1. C

Pathetic

I have a 22 Stoker and run on the Ohio River just downstream from Cincy. I won't turn away! I have twin 260s though....LOL Allisons have humbled many would-be fast boats. My GS sure did!! Chris
  2. C

Top-pinned pistons: A photo essay

Looks like the ejected pin-- itself-- did the damage before the ring spun.
  3. C

Piston's!!!

IMO, Stock, factory Merc forged top pinned pistons with TiN coated factory rings. The TiN (Titanium Nitride) coating is to improve lubricity and aid break in.
  4. C

More top-pin observations

Don't know how in the hell a weld joint could get proper fusion without melting (or exceeding 120 degrees) the parent metal. The filler material is most likely a eutectic alloy that differs greatly from the piston base metal.
  5. C

Piston's!!!

I know people that had trouble with new Mahles this season. The problem wasn't with the piston, rather it was with the rings. They have/had a ceramic coating that wasn't compatible with Nicom. It seams they were tested with Nicasil without problems but left galling (micro-welding) in Nicom...
  6. C

How Much Pro Sport Full Throttle Trim?

Neutral Trim Neutral trim is usually expressed in terms of the propshaft relative to the water surface, not to the hull. The hull can be at 2 degrees to the water, but if the shaft is parallel it's usually called neutral trim. DL, your hull may be changing. The resin will continue to...
  7. C

300PM on a GrandSport!!

Just thought of few more things about the GS. They will run fast with the gearcase below the pad. With it above the pad, it's dicey at best because it forces you to fly the bow to keep the prop hooked up (teeter toter effect) and then it want's to fall off the pad. It's better to run the...
  8. C

300PM on a GrandSport!!

I heard about this GS back when I had mine. I always thought the hull would carry the additional weight if set up properly. Now I mean no disrespect, but I'd need to see the GPS runs to believe the speeds of 110 & 112. I had 260s, 280s, and Drag motors with 300+ HP on mine. The Drag motors...
  9. C

another problem!

Is it an EFI engine? The high voltage could be causing problems in the ECU as they can be sensitive to supplied voltage, making it shutdown. All the 260s I've owned have voltage regulators. However, I have ran them without to improve battery charging when running low RPMs for extended...
  10. C

90's in GSE

GS The XS2003 hull is not the same as the XB2003.
  11. C

Best EFI fuel pump? And where to get it?

Brucato Brucato has the Bosch 984 (drag) pump for less than $200 NIB. YA is right, it's cheaper than a powerhead Chris
  12. C

Best EFI fuel pump? And where to get it?

GS I'm not sure I understand your problem but I noticed something on my Grandsport that sounds similar. The return line from the engine (on an EFI motor) is plumbed in to the tank beside the fuel pickup. When the fuel is returned to the tank, the stream from the incoming fuel return...
  13. C

GPI Z Ports

I'm getting a pair of GPI Z Port motors for my 22 Stoker on Tuesday. I can't wait to see how this baby will run! It should run like my GS did (and then some), only go over some really rough water, too. Anyone on this board going to the Rumble? I live close to Carrolton and would enjoy...
  14. C

GSE Deck

Didn't fix them I didn't realize it cracked at first. I saw it later. It seems to me that some of the older GSs have coring in the deck along with the reinforcing panel underneath. I'm not sure about that, but mine didn't have any coring('98 model). It did the snap-crackle-pop thing, too...
  15. C

GSE Deck

Cracks I crawled down the center of the deck on my GSS and it CRACKED! STAY OFF in my opinion Chris
  16. C

Torque Specs Changed?

Threads It's a 3/4 - 16 UNF It will handle 105 ft-lb easily. The threads will pull out of the brass nut well before the prop shaft threads fail. Chris
  17. C

prop slip on a grand sport

Re: GSE I had one of the canvas bags split open after it got wet a few times. After that, I wrapped them with duct tape--but good. Took forever to get all that loose shot out of the boat! LOL Chris
  18. C

prop slip on a grand sport

106 If you're running 106+ in a GS, who cares what the slip is!!!! Your setup must good because that's the fastest GPS speed I've heard of in a GS. You're doing something right. Best I could do in mine was 104ish Chris
  19. C

Setback for GSE (XS-2003)

GS Lou, I bought my GS from Baker Marine in '98 with a 12 inch manual setback. It had a 20" 260, 4-hole CLE, and 29 SRX on it. The boat handled like a dream to the high 90's. Switched to a 9 inch setup--an Allison adjustable and a CMC hydraulic--with a JCs case and had trouble getting it...
  20. C

Allison Patents

Would anyone be interested in seeing the patents for the SS and other Allison skeg patents? I have hard copies and could scan them. The one for the SS is especially interesting as it explains a lot about the strake designs and why these boats don't want to barrel roll when hooking at speeds...