Search results

1. B

100 LL Av Gas

Anyone mixing or running straight Av Gas in their tank. I've tried it long ago at 100%, seemed stronger with a more racier sound, but that's subjective. Av Gas is more designed around 2700-3000 RPM flying at 8000-10000 feet, compared to Race Gas at 6000- 10,000 RPM on earth. 97 GS, 05 2.5...
  2. B

175 Pro XS Gearcase

New LU Will a 175 Pro XS stand up under a 280 HP motor, not jumping waves, just normal rec. boating. 99% is 70 mph and below. No familiar with it's internals. Is that a tappered or the big shaft. Thanks Bob
  3. B

Pressure Checking Gearcases

Wanting to check if my Sporty and TM seals are up to task with a pressure check. Not positive about technique, but thinking of draining oil, then filling case with about 15psi of air, then waiting an hour to see if gauge goes down. Does this sound right? Also I'm thinking I read about...
  4. B

Speedi-sleeve usage

Anyone ever try a speedi-sleeve as a fix for the corroded area around the water pump housing seal? If so, how do they stay put? What kind of sucess have you had? I have 2 gearcases that water gets past the seal and into the oil, hate to buy 2 new driveshafts. Thanks Allison Bob
  5. B

A-cut Trophy or Merc 4 blade ET (Lab)

Had talked myself into a 28 A-cut Trophy, but looking at my boat yesterday, the Merc 4 blade ET (lab) with the smaller over hub design might hole shot and accelerate thru the midrange (100 mph) better. Anybody with one or both with comments. XS 2003 280 HP Blob
  6. B

Allison's Cut Trophy

Allison Cut Trophy Talked myself into buying an Allison Cut Trophy (28). I've been told they are the small hub Trophy's which is cool for holeshot (ventilation) purposes. I've also been told the vent holes are welded shut, seems to me I could just use the plugs. Anybody have one either...
  7. B

Driveshaft-Speedie Sleave?

Anybody try a speedie sleave at the water pump seal corrosion area on a Merc 200,Torquemaster or Sportmaster gearcase. Seems a lot cheaper than a new shaft. I was told part# 99087, any info would be welcomed. Thanks, Blob-head
  8. B

280 OS ECU on Stock 280

What's involved with putting a 280 OS ECU on a stock 2005 280? Box obviously, what about injectors and other parts? Merc recommends 32:1 hi-per oil. Want to run up to 8000-8200 with my 28, I understand the OS box is good for 8200. Thanks Blob-Head
  9. B

Which ET?

Talked myself into buying a new summer prop. My GS/280 loses about 400 rpms during the summer months, down to about 7100 with my Triton 30. I know a 28 will get me back to 7500, do I want the 3 or 4 blade? Is the speed the same for both, how about durability? Rough water grip is important...
  10. B

High Idle, 2005 280 HP

I'm a new member, Happy New Year to everyone. Own a 97 GS with a 2005 280 Merc. Depending on the prop, 100's aren't a problem. The problem started last Sunday, idle was 1600 plus rpms , it never went down, this was on the hose. Tuesday I went to the lake, same thing happened finally was...