Search results

1. B

Bent hi perf prop shaft

The picture with the twisted shaft Junk. The other person .080-.100 out, your so out of the park [ spec ], you might as well be on the sun.
  2. B

100 LL Av Gas

Anyone mixing or running straight Av Gas in their tank. I've tried it long ago at 100%, seemed stronger with a more racier sound, but that's subjective. Av Gas is more designed around 2700-3000 RPM flying at 8000-10000 feet, compared to Race Gas at 6000- 10,000 RPM on earth. 97 GS, 05 2.5...
  3. B

oil from an odd spot on lower unit?

Anyone have a contact number or address for Taylor Marine or any shop that does the spray welding on the driveshafts. Have two to fix. Thanks Bob
  4. B

How this compares to others

Interesting numbers, just punched the numbers into Merc's slip calc, looks like 1% slip. Yesterday I turned 85 mph, 6050 rpm, 1.87 gears 30 pitch Triton, 8% slip. Bob
  5. B

So I did a comp test today

2005 280 97 GS Bought my engine new spring 2005. did a comp test with my LISLE gauge a few months later, all #'s 128 -138. Did the same test this past spring. all#'s 130-138. Same gauge same oil -Merc Hi Per Blend Same gas Chevron 91 same elevation 2000 feet. Boat still runs same...
  6. B

175 Pro XS Gearcase

Should have included more info. Will have a Nose cone and torque tab installed. Concerned with internals blowing up. Would the SM or TM internals fit in and vice versa. Thanks Bob
  7. B

175 Pro XS Gearcase

New LU Will a 175 Pro XS stand up under a 280 HP motor, not jumping waves, just normal rec. boating. 99% is 70 mph and below. No familiar with it's internals. Is that a tappered or the big shaft. Thanks Bob
  8. B

Pressure Checking Gearcases

Wanting to check if my Sporty and TM seals are up to task with a pressure check. Not positive about technique, but thinking of draining oil, then filling case with about 15psi of air, then waiting an hour to see if gauge goes down. Does this sound right? Also I'm thinking I read about...
  9. B

Aces IV

Aces Reply 2 So I read the Aces website, most of their talk is how the (fix) diesel engines. One members says it raises his octane from 93-102 #'s, another says 8-9 points. Which is it, 9 numbers is 90 points, why would anybody spend money on 93 when the could buy 87, pour in Aces and...
  10. B

Aces IV

Aces Reply, Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not familar with the product or it's pricing. But it sure seemed that a number of people wanted to use it as an octane booster. hopefully I read it wrong. Someone mentioned that 1 oz. will raise octane rating 4 numbers, not points in 6 gallons of...
  11. B

Aces IV

Aces Reply, Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not familar with the product or it's pricing. But it sure seemed that a number of people wanted to use it as an octane booster. hopefully I read it wrong. Someone mentioned that 1 oz. will raise octane rating 4 numbers, not points in 6 gallons of...
  12. B

Aces IV

I just noticed one of the replies, someone paid $80 per quart for Aces, that's $320 per gallon, doesn't matter if it's 3,6.10 or 20 ounces per gallon, that's outrageous. Let me ask you, what gas does Mercury recommend for it's 300 drag? Around 110 I believe, hell you could fill a full tank...
  13. B

Aces IV

First off, I must admit I know nothing about Aces specfically but I do know you will never raise your octane level from 91,2, or 3 to 100 with a pint or quart of some stuff that costs whatever it cost per gallon. First off, why would you pay 20 bucks for lets say a quart, not knowing what you...
  14. B

Allisonxb2003 with 280 Q

Buckmaster, 97 GS, 05 280, 30 Triton, elevation 1100feet. Been doing mileage checks for a long time. 4000rpm-48mph-3.5mpg. 5200rpm-70mph 3.5mpg. 3600rpm-42 mph-4mpg. I like to do the long distance cruises,100 miles I'd definitly take 5 gallons extra, can't hurt, you'll always use it...
  15. B

200xs/xb2003 gas mileage

Wish my GS/280 30 Triton was 4ish. Usually 3600-4400 rpms, 40-50mph, only 3-3.5 mpg, no weight in boat, ready to call Mercury for advice. Seems I got 4 plus a few years ago. Maybe Chevron will lower their prices for the new year to help everyone out. Allison-Bob
  16. B

Speedi-sleeve usage

Thanks for the responses, I read the speedi-sleeve web sight, they said if the area is quite rough, best to put some Locktite " metal epoxy" on the area to fill in the roughness. Anyone do it this way? Seems like good idea. Thanks Allison Bob
  17. B

Speedi-sleeve usage

Anyone ever try a speedi-sleeve as a fix for the corroded area around the water pump housing seal? If so, how do they stay put? What kind of sucess have you had? I have 2 gearcases that water gets past the seal and into the oil, hate to buy 2 new driveshafts. Thanks Allison Bob
  18. B

QIV OT 14.75" 27 pitch, 26" Spinelli small shaft

As of today, Feb. 11 2011, Lake Mead elevation is 1093, give or take a foot.
  19. B

280's and Ethanol

Westy, I also live in the southwest, bought a brand new 280 back in 2005, put in Chevron 91, along with Merc Hi-Per Blend oil 40-1. and Sta-bil, Merc or West Marine gas additve during late fall to early spring. Absolutly no issues, don't short cut, you have a bad *** engine, treat...
  20. B

Best overall pitch for 280 Merc?

Catfish 123, I've got a 280 on my GS, my limiter is 7750. My 27 SRX and my 28 Jacos have no problem hitting the limiter winter or summer. My older Triton 1 30 hits 7400-7700 winter or summer, my newer Triton 1 30 bites harder, 7300 summer, 7500 winter. I'm sure the 27 and 28 would hit an...