Xb2003 Allison jackplate removal

local103racing

Hi guys I’m needing some info on removing a 10 Allison jackplate so I can install a new 14 inch Bob’s hopefully I don’t need to get to the transom bolts behind the tank any help would be great thanks

SLOmofo

I didn't have to remove the gas tank on my 1994 year model XB2003. The stainless steel studs were/are captured. I would try to find new brass nuts for installation if the threads feel loose. I would suggest to fill the jack plate cavity with cut to fit closed cell foam pieces. Put a lid on the top and close the bottom also. I filled the whole area from skid plate to the top.
Two benefits are the added flotation and the area will not fill with water when at rest then have to drain out on acceleration. Gotta be 3 gallons = 24 extra pounds to push up on to plane every time.

David Lanham

My 1999 ProSport also has the mentioned bolt capture behind the fuel tank. I removed my tank once and noticed it. Another simple but ingenious Allison design trait.

Every year I checked the tightness of the bolts securing the jack-plate to the transom. Same for the motor to jack plate bolts.

xb03

Make sure the Bobs plate is notched at the very top where it meets the boat, so it clears the chrome trim piece on the transom.

GrandLakeGAR

Allison changed the upper transom bolts from 1/2" to 9/16" some time between my 1994 and my 2000. I had to enlarge the upper holes once on a jack plate swap. GAR

Last edited:

CarolinaBurt

My 1997 XB2002 has the larger 9/16" upper bolts.

3M 5200 Sealant is made for boats. I cringe when I hear advice for silicone anywhere near, let alone below the waterline. I've been rebuilding boats for years now and what I see as "cause of death" more so than all else - is water intrusion allowed by failed silicone. Silicone will not hold up.

Gordon

RiverRat71

My 1997 XB2002 has the larger 9/16" upper bolts.

3M 5200 Sealant is made for boats. I cringe when I hear advice for silicone anywhere near, let alone below the waterline. I've been rebuilding boats for years now and what I see as "cause of death" more so than all else - is water intrusion allowed by failed silicone. Silicone will not hold up.

Gordon
If you glue the jackplate to the transom with the 5200 you wont even need bolts. That stuff is some wicked business. RR

RiverRat71

To me 5200 is as more of an adhesive than a sealant making it hard to remove later. If I were going to just seal around bolts I would use either marine silicone or The Right Stuff by Permatex. It is used with much success to seal ride plates, pumps & intake grates on PWC's. Only drawback is it is black in color. RR