Skid planer

BGohr

anyone ever install one? We bought one from allison with an allison jackplate thought it bolted on? Not the case............

sledman8002002

I've yet to install mine either (for a GS, 16"), but I have had it in place a few times, requires some trimming of the plate itself near as I can tell. Older jackplate on mine as well, so I'd also be drilling to mount the side plates. Not a really a big deal, just haven't found enough time to get on it.
I think part of it too is the thing launches so well with just the Allison cavitation foil, I haven't felt the need.
But I do recall seeing quite a few out here who have installed them.

LakeAnna

Last edited:

LakeAnna

Bill here are the instructions that came with mine, might help out and give you an idea or two. I turned mine around so it was straight in back and did my grinding and cutting on the transom end. At first after I put it on it found it's home so to speek and started to touch the gelcoat. Off it came again for more cutting/grinding.

In my experience the plate works well, I like it.

Last edited:

RiverRat71

I installed a skid planer on my GS this weekend using a jig that I built & thought I would share pics showing the process. TheyS P 1.JPG S P 2.JPG S P 3.JPG S P 4.JPG S P 6.JPG S P 7.JPG S P 9.JPG S P 11.JPG are pretty self explanatory but if any one has any questions I will be happy to answer. RR

RiverRat71

Thanks, yours looks great too! I would have rather the brackets been on the inside of the jackplate like yours but it wouldn't work with mine being hydraulic. I also wish it would have had factory holes to mount it to. I hate drilling holes in pretty stuff, LOL. RR

Allyfishing

now that's what I call Professional installation!!!

i installed a skid planer on a 1991 18FDX Astro bass boat and it dramatically improved the hole shot