Back on the GT20

Jed

Well, I finnally made some progress last Friday. Mounted jack plate, mounted new helm, and new Livorsi gauges. Misplaced my hydraulic fittings for the remote pump, so won't be mounting motor until I get the jack plate operational.
IMG_2026.JPG IMG_2025.JPG

Jed

Thanks. It's as close to Guards Red That I could get.

Jed

Was on vacation the last 2-1/2 weeks, and now back at work. I did finish the jack plate install on the Allison, and mounted motor this week. I'm going to finish installing the hydraulic steering this weekend, and start laying out the seats. Also picked this old Carlson Contender up a few weeks back. What a hoot. 1967, all original. Motor is a 1987 90 HP.

IMG_2122.JPG IMG_2052.JPG

Jed

More progress. Steering complete, and last gauge installed.

. IMG_2124.JPGIMG_2125.JPG

Jed

Latest progress. Weather sure is slowing progress up. Carpet in and some trimming needed yet. Trailer mods starting next week. Narrowing trailer by 5" and going with a single axle. Cowling update. Going old school on the decals. Had some custom decals made locally and they turned out nice.

IMG_2216.JPG IMG_2862.JPG IMG_2858.JPG

Jed

Those seats look awesome! The red match’s the boat great ! I think I would paint the trailer red if it were mine ! Great work !
Thanks. I'm hoping to have everything done by summer. Plans are Red for the trailer...

Freebird

Man, that think is looking good! I hate to admit that I all but forgot about this place. It'll be interesting to see how your boat runs with that motor as I have a 200XRi on my GT20. Love the decals!

Jed

Thanks. The trailer mods are going a little slow. It just won't quit raining here. It's just a stock 150XRi, but ran 65 with a 27 pitch. I'm thinking of going to a Trophy Plus 28 pitch, or a Tempust Plus 29 pitch. Any suggestions on a new prop? I have a Lazer II and it turns the 27 at 5800 W/O a nose cone. I know I'm limited on HP, but would like to see 70 MPH.

Freebird

Thanks. The trailer mods are going a little slow. It just won't quit raining here. It's just a stock 150XRi, but ran 65 with a 27 pitch. I'm thinking of going to a Trophy Plus 28 pitch, or a Tempust Plus 29 pitch. Any suggestions on a new prop? I have a Lazer II and it turns the 27 at 5800 W/O a nose cone. I know I'm limited on HP, but would like to see 70 MPH.
I'd try the 28 Trophy, but I'm thinking you might not be able to pull a 28 with a 150. Your numbers with the 27 show you're slipping to the tune of 18% assuming you're running a 1.87 lower. You may actually reach that magic 70 with a 26 that's hooking up better than your 27.

If you get tired of that 150 XRi, let me know.

Jed

Yes, you are correct about 18%, according to the Mercury Slip Calculator, and another calculator I found on the internet. I checked the speed with GPS, and Radar. Both right on top one another. 65 MPH, and the calculator says the same thing. What prop are you running on your GT20, and what RPM.

Freebird

I'm running a 28" Hoss cut A5 chopper and turning about 6,300. Also have a 28" T4X that runs pretty much the same. I haven't played with the setup since putting the 200/Sporty back on it after selling the 225 Pro Max, but we mounted it higher on the jackplate to provide more clearance for the steering. I'm running a bit below the pad, but I've just eyeballed it and can't tell you how much. I've picked up a couple of props in 30 and 32 that I haven't tried yet. Not sure I can pull the 32, but I'll jack it up and find out.

Reactions: Jed

Jed

What's the performance difference between a 4 and 3 blade prop? Pros and Cons.... Sorry for all the questions, but you have more butt time in performance boats than I do. Especially the GT20.

Jed

What's the big difference between a 4 blade and a 3 blade? Pros and Cons....

Jed

More progress. Used an old trim/tilt switch panel for bilge pump, lights, etc. All the detail stuff is a little time consuming, but having fun with it.

Attachments