Learning to fly

RiverRat71

Wanted to boast a little about my progress in the GS. I took it out today for the 5th time since I bought her & I think I am doing well considering I have not had any pilots show me the ropes. 83 gps!! I know that isn't considered near the ol century mark but it sure felt awesome! 2 weeks ago was the first time I really got her on the pad & ran 73. Today I just drove gradually finding more speed with trim. My friends with the STV's & Hrdro's said 83 is awesome for the 27 Trophy prop with my 2:1 lower & 6800 rev limit on the Opti. I think it actually still had some left. I know one thing for sure the GS drives a lot better with someone in the passenger seat. Problem is I don't trust myself enough to run it hard unless I am alone. 50 lbs of lead shot helps a lot but just not like having a passenger. Anyway, just wanted to tell someone who might appreciate & understands the learning curve with these badass boats. Will update again in a few weeks. RR

ROBERT CROSS

'ya done good...:cool:

We be on a bit of a learning curve also with GS#2......weather not cooperating though...only 4 outings so far.:(

RiverRat71

'ya done good...:cool:

We be on a bit of a learning curve also with GS#2......weather not cooperating though...only 4 outings so far.:(
Thanks, & I feel you on the weather not cooperating. I have had my GS since October & just got it out for the 5th time. RR

Lotus 50

My SS2000 is less responsive to trim with two up front, but it was sure easier to learn with 200 lb of brother ballast than solo. I may have had the prop shaft too low back then, but I didn't want a bat turn with my brother.

RiverRat71

My SS2000 is less responsive to trim with two up front, but it was sure easier to learn with 200 lb of brother ballast than solo. I may have had the prop shaft too low back then, but I didn't want a bat turn with my brother.
It does respond to trim a little better by myself but still really good with a passenger. I am running a 1/2 below the pad. Seems to work really well there. May try a little higher once I have found all the 27 has to offer where it is at. RR

RiverRat71

Congrats! that's pretty impressive for 5 times out.
Thanks! I credit all you guys on the forum. I have done a lot of reading & feel the experience of others is invaluable. I know seat time is where it is at but I have learned a lot from the forum itself. Thanks to all for input! RR

Jr in Jax

The most important part of seat time is learning how to give the boat 100% of your attention at high speeds. If you are not, then you have a higher horsepower boat driven by a lower horsepower pilot. My attention snaps to it every time I am over 80, just waiting for a wake from a wakeboard boat far away. With 100% attention, a wakeboard boat wake is scary, but not a disaster.

RiverRat71

So tell us RiverRat71 , how fast you running now ? You hit 90 ?
That's a negative on the 90, LOL. I finally got the boat back out today but best was only 82. River was crowded today & couldn't find a good clear runway. I really don't think the 27 has much left. The things I have heard about the Trophy's loosing blades makes me a little nervous anyway. Going to order me a Hydromotive Monday. Will be updating again after I try it out. Thanks for asking! RR

Jr in Jax

I have found that any surfacing prop will sometimes lose blades, I have lost a blade using all of the common props found on A Boats. The 26 trophy seems to be pretty tough and gives me a great rough water ride/ 87 MPH GPS. I bought a 28 trophy that has a totally different blade design than my 26, I did not like it at all. I have never noticed the blade config on a 27. You might try a 26.

RiverRat71

I have found that any surfacing prop will sometimes lose blades, I have lost a blade using all of the common props found on A Boats. The 26 trophy seems to be pretty tough and gives me a great rough water ride/ 87 MPH GPS. I bought a 28 trophy that has a totally different blade design than my 26, I did not like it at all. I have never noticed the blade config on a 27. You might try a 26.
Thanks Jr! I do understand that about surfacing props & I keep a good eye on mine for any cracks or damage, it just seems like the Trophy has a little worse reputation than most. All the guys around here call them a Throwfy, LOL.

skewby

silverbullet on here has a 26 trophy that has at least 1000 miles on it with no problems. and its an awesome prop easy to drive and fast. unless he asks about it then its a POS. lol I've tried to buy it several times

ROBERT CROSS

Our 24Trophy+ worked well for the three Seasons we used it,(came with 'da boat), Hm0tive advised keep it below the pad and it should be fine...definately a tube'n wheel though.fullsizeoutput_440.jpeg

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Jr! I do understand that about surfacing props & I keep a good eye on mine for any cracks or damage, it just seems like the Trophy has a little worse reputation than most. All the guys around here call them a Throwfy, LOL.

I wonder if we hear about Trophys more than others because Merc has sold a hundred times more of those than Hydromotive and the other specialty prop companies put together?

RiverRat71

I wonder if we hear about Trophys more than others because Merc has sold a hundred times more of those than Hydromotive and the other specialty prop companies put together?
Makes perfect sense to me. Wasn't trying to bash the Trophy, I personally like the prop & plan on keeping it but being new to this type of boating & having seasoned vets tell me to be careful with "that prop" makes me listen. I had intentions all along to make the Hydromotive my go to prop for my GS anyway. RR

ROBERT CROSS

"I wonder if we hear about Trophys more than others because Merc has sold a hundred times more of those than Hydromotive and the other specialty prop companies put together?"

Yep!!.....just ask any trailer, RV or Boat, user about Goodyear Marathon ST tires, the most used OEM ST tire on the market that has the highest reported failure rate.

FWIW....they are on both the Boatmate & Airstream, with one flat caused by a nail, never a structural failure.