New setback with the 3.0 liter

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
So, I ran the 3.0 on my 2003 for a few years with 5.5" of set back and I think I was leaving some topend performance on the table. I went to 12" and the boat is night and day different. Got the motor in clean water and now I have moved my trolling batteries in front of the foot rest under the bow. Below are so before and after pics. Take notice to the rear elevation between the pics. I think by moving the batteries I have restored it close to the original balance it had with the 2.5 liter. I am gonna run it like this for a while and see how I like it. I am think I will end up with the cranking battery in front of the hump and the 2 trollers back in front of the tank. Keep in mind I am running 31 series batteries that weigh like 75 pounds a piece. I think this is prolly a lot heavier than most running 2003's. As far as how it drove. Nose felt a little heavy but could just be because I was so use to driving it ass heavy for so long. It was much easier to drive and hardly walked at all until I got to around 61-63 mph.

Before the 3.0 liter running a 2.5 liter with no troller on the bow. Only running 2 batteries. One in the Port wing the other in front of the tank.
upload_2017-5-27_0-30-23.png

With the 3.0 and 5.5 inches of set back trolling batteries in front of the tank the starting battery in the Port wing
upload_2017-5-27_0-34-15.png

With the 3.0 and 12 inches of set back trolling batteries in front of the tank the starting battery in the Port wing.
upload_2017-5-27_0-33-3.png

Last edited:

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Now with 12 inches of set back trolling batteries in front of the hump at your feet when driving and starting battery in front of tank port side. One power pole on STBD side.

scj

I don't think I would change a thing. It looks very similar to the first pic with you setting in it.