Prop recommendations XB21 w/power poles

Bobalouie

You can raise your plate safely as long as you are seeing a speed increase with each bump up. You still need to maintain adequate water pressure though. If you get no speed increase on a bump up, you are too high and need to bump back down.

mmalinao

I'm still a newbie, but I tournament fish with a full load and a partner. I went with the Hydro 25 which everyone is going to say is too small, but I run and gun and fine with mid 80's. The acceleration from getting on pad to 70+ is insane and hole shot is solid. I'm happy with it, but I'm sure at the WAR someone will convince me that I need a 27+ lol

twsykes

I'm still a newbie, but I tournament fish with a full load and a partner. I went with the Hydro 25 which everyone is going to say is too small, but I run and gun and fine with mid 80's. The acceleration from getting on pad to 70+ is insane and hole shot is solid. I'm happy with it, but I'm sure at the WAR someone will convince me that I need a 27+ lol
interesting. which boat do you have?

twsykes

Nice. I may have to try something like that actually. Got a 28 bravo otw so lets see how that does

twsykes

28 bravo xs experience. 2012 250 sport xs on an XB21 with poles. The results were NOT impressive at all.
  1. Out of the hole was very slow and only turned the prop to about 2k-3k or WOT while sitting then slowly ramped up until the boat rolled over.
  2. Total RPM was around 5300 at best with with little slip making it around 80 MPH WOT (light load or with a heavy passenger)
  3. with the prop 1 inch below the pad to 1 inch above the pad was not good regardless of where I had the CMC backplate
Now, the only other thing I could think is that the CMC could go higher but quite honestly the engine and boat combo just seemed like it could not tote this wheel at all.

I do like the big eared prop and may try a 26 Bravo or promax. Which do you guys think I should try?

Curiously enough what is the difference between turning a big prop at 5400 or a small prop at 6200 if the speeds are roughly equal. It would seem logical that the the higher RPM would just typically mean faster acceleration on the smaller props

scj

I would try either in 26" but if you want the best hole shot, the Bravo 1 FS wins hands down. I like the way both props handle but a ProMax is stiffer on top end. Lee Sanderson has a flare ring he adds to the ProMax that improves the blowout issue which is the only reservation with them.

xb03fs

Mike that 25 you have was worked extensively for xb21 and tightened and you have 1.62. It is good fit. Like my current 27

Last edited:

xb03fs

Which prop are u referring to exactly? Thanks
Mike bought the 25 hydro from me second hand. It is the first prop I had built for my xb 21. It was originally built for when I had a 200 xri with raised limiter.

It started as standard outboard allison XOB.

Then I sent it back to Todd to have the flair cut because I didn't like how it turned or handled in transition point in low 70s.

Then it wanted to blow out on holeshot but was flawless up top.

Then it was sent to Roy to have the cup fixed not to blow out and to be tightened up for better holeshot and topend.
Then I got a 250 with 1.75 gears and it's way to small. Hard on limiter at 79/80.

27 was built as clone to the 25 and is approx 27.5/28p. Also have a 30 built the same way... and a 23 XOB built slightly differently for skiing... kinda Hydromotive heavy.

Mine are not for sale.

Last edited:

xb03fs

ps if I had 1.62 and wanted a topend wheel I would have a 28 built. With flair trimmed, extra tip cup added and stiffened to a 28.5 should be low 90s but less fun

If I wanted an everyday prop I would do a 26 trimmed flair with extra tip cup. If you hit limiter too fast, add have it tightened to 26.5. Should be high 80s and quick

Garry Hagins

1.62 gears?

The standard for 21's is either the hydromotive XOB or Bravo XS with Robbie mods. As far as speed for normal 21's (not including freaks like Tim Powell) and conservative set ups with 250's you are looking at low 90s when trying for speed. But power poles subtract 4 mph per Lee Sanderson and the Pro is the slowest of the 21's so ready to fish for an average driver with an avg 21 I bet you are looking at high 80's set up to fish with your poles. Probably a 27p prop for that. From much reading on here it seems that the Hydro is a pitch stiffer than the Bravo. So a 27 Hydro would run similar to a 28 Bravo XS, again assuming 1.62 gears.

I have a 28 XOB for my 2+2 with 1.62 gears and never run light. I am more concerned with holeshot than top end and I wish I would have gotten the 27 for my needs.

You are talking about the Pro Sport is the slowest boat of the 21' boats? I think Geoff has his on the verge of turning 100 mph and I don't know how to drive mine yet and it isn't set up correctly and I am already hitting 87 mph. Just curious as this is the lightest boat of all the XB-21's and just can't see it being the slowest. Please enlighten me.

Dark Allison

Where does the 2+2 fall in the speed debate of the Prosport and the 2 seater?

Tim Powell

I agree:

1: Prosport
2: 2+2
3: BasSport Pro (2 Seater)

Ive seen several 2+2/250's in the 95-97 range but ive never seen a 2 seater/250 over 90-91

I do somewhat feel that this is due to the 2 seater owners just sticking a fishin prop on it and not trying to get every last tenth of a mph out of them. When I bought my 2 seater/300 I was expecting 90ish. The previous owner (older gentleman) reported 88 w/ 28 Promax and 92 w/ 30 labbed Promax....after a few trips I had already ran the 28 Promax to 94 in 100 degree air and I ran the 30 Promax to 94-95 loaded to fish with 2. And then I ordered a 29 Hydromotive X-O/B from Todd and turned out a 98, and then a 99.8 w/ 32 BC P4....all on stock engine. Right now it'll run 99 with ease any day of the week with a solo fishin load and my fishin prop.

I am not done and plan to put this 2 seater over the century mark if the wind, water, and weather conditions will cooperate.

I have 2 local friends with 2 seater/250s that I plan on playing with too...I feel there is more left in the 2 seater.

Garry Hagins

I agree:

1: Prosport
2: 2+2
3: BasSport Pro (2 Seater)

Ive seen several 2+2/250's in the 95-97 range but ive never seen a 2 seater/250 over 90-91

I do somewhat feel that this is due to the 2 seater owners just sticking a fishin prop on it and not trying to get every last tenth of a mph out of them. When I bought my 2 seater/300 I was expecting 90ish. The previous owner (older gentleman) reported 88 w/ 28 Promax and 92 w/ 30 labbed Promax....after a few trips I had already ran the 28 Promax to 94 in 100 degree air and I ran the 30 Promax to 94-95 loaded to fish with 2. And then I ordered a 29 Hydromotive X-O/B from Todd and turned out a 98, and then a 99.8 w/ 32 BC P4....all on stock engine. Right now it'll run 99 with ease any day of the week with a solo fishin load and my fishin prop.

I am not done and plan to put this 2 seater over the century mark if the wind, water, and weather conditions will cooperate.

I have 2 local friends with 2 seater/250s that I plan on playing with too...I feel there is more left in the 2 seater.
I wonder if the weight forward on the 2+2 is why it may be faster!!! I wouldn't think the 2+2 is anymore aerodynamic than the BasSport.