Clearlake, Delta, Berryessa driving help!

mmalinao

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone is up to meet/fish with me at either Clearlake, Berryessa, or the Delta that knows how to drive this beast! I have a new to me (November) 2010 XB-21 BasSport 2+2 with a 250 Pro XS and TPX or TXP (Turbo) prop and Sportmaster 1.62 gears. I came from a tank (Skeeter ZX 190 with a 175 Black Max) where I would top out at 57mph loaded and stable as can be. Fast forward to this boat and anything over 60-65 and I start washing the decals and puckering up!

There is a level on the console so I do pay attention to load distribution, but is seems like no matter what I do I can't figure it out. It got to the point where I had to set it 1/2" below pad as a starting point (from the guys on BBC) so I can get a consistent hole shot. So I tried moving the JP up to see if that worked when running because they say that prop wants to be on top of the water and just can't figure it out. I know you're supposed to do short movements of the wheel and no dice either.

I have 2 small children and do at least one tournament a month so I don't get too much time on the water so I need to figure out at the tournament, which isn't ideal because I'm trying to focus on 5 by 3:00 lol.

If someone live nearby I would absolutely love some help on the water if possible.

Thanks,

Mike

cj707

I can meet you at Berry or the delta. when did you have in mind

JWolff

Keep us updated Mike. You aren't the only newbie needing more info to go faster.
John

mmalinao

Thanks, I just spoke with Lars and we're going to hit up Berry sometime in the near future so I can get schooled the Allison way!

SLOmofo

Lars will show you the way.
Things to remember, it's like riding a bike, once learned "It' will become automatic. Remember first, you learn to roll over, sit up, crawl, stand, walk and then you can run. You don't run the Boston Marathon fresh from the womb!
Don't look at the dash or bow, look at the water far in front of you. Your going to use your eyes and inner ear to keep balance just like on a bike. Think of it like the boat is history and the horizon is now. If you react to the boat your already to late. It's when you sense it.
Practice is key. Alone, life vest zipped, kill switch clipped. Load the boat how your going to run it. Sit in it at rest and look at the bubble balance. Move stuff around to level the boat. Put the boat on plane, trimmed for that speed and recheck the level. Most use a bag of shot to fine tune the level. Note: more trim it leans one way less trim, the other. As in, too much.
Run up to 5 mph below the chine walk speed, drive it in all water conditions while trimming in and out, learn it, live it. Increase 5 mph do it all over again till it seems so easy at that speed. Increase 5 mph and do it all again. When it starts to chine walk back off the gas and start again.
If you don't do this at least have someone video tape it. This is where most people sell the boat, they won't take the time to learn and it does take time.

Wax on, wax off. Grasshopper.

mmalinao

Great info! I'll be at CL this weekend and will try as you suggested. I'm hoping that by raising the motor a 1/4" from where I have it will help and if not a 1/4" more and will mess with the trim. The boat is super stable at speeds less than 55+mhp and from what I understand my prop (TXP) wants to be on top of the water and doesn't like to be burred so that tells me that at over 55mph it's lifting and there's less of the boat on the water as the motor is too low right?

I know practice, practice, practice. I wish I could retire already so I have more time to fish hahaha. And yes, I use a zip up life jacket that's always clipped.

-Mike

Last edited:

mmalinao

Did you learn how to drive the boat Mike?
Hey Garry, I can drive her up until low 80's. I figured out that the main issue I had was not enough weight up front and I pretty much had everything in the back. I moved my tackle to the center locker and that stabilized the entire boat and made a world of difference! Can't wait to meet everyone at the Delta in May!

Garry Hagins

Hey Garry, I can drive her up until low 80's. I figured out that the main issue I had was not enough weight up front and I pretty much had everything in the back. I moved my tackle to the center locker and that stabilized the entire boat and made a world of difference! Can't wait to meet everyone at the Delta in May!
This will be my first Allison as well just getting ideas. I use to have a Stroker that I got to 87.9 and it was a handful to drive. I think there will be a learning curve for sure. One of the best references I have seen on here is that a person needs to drive ahead and not try to react to the boat. That's what I had to do with my Stroker.

Jon

Supporting Member
Garry, you should try to come over (at least for Fri-Sat) for the Allison Rally this year. You're not too far away. It's a family event, for the most part :)

mmalinao

This will be my first Allison as well just getting ideas. I use to have a Stroker that I got to 87.9 and it was a handful to drive. I think there will be a learning curve for sure. One of the best references I have seen on here is that a person needs to drive ahead and not try to react to the boat. That's what I had to do with my Stroker.
It was a steep learning curve for me as well coming out of a Skeeter. But once I had the jack plate height right and added weight to the center box it was like a completely different boat! I was 1st driving the boat with the jack plate all they way down...ALL BAD then 1/2 way still bad and then as I got higher it started riding better. It just takes seat time and both this group as well the Bass Boat Central guys have been absolutely great at helping newbies out!

Garry Hagins

Garry, you should try to come over (at least for Fri-Sat) for the Allison Rally this year. You're not too far away. It's a family event, for the most part :)
Jon,
I would love to come over to the rally this year. What are the dates? My work currently has me working 6 days a week so I for sure have to plan in advance. I am sure I can gain a wealth of information. Thanks for the invite.

skewby

june 18th till the 24th will be at terrace view marina for home base. its sold out already but theirs other marinas close by

scj

Most that have limited time usually come from Thursday to Saturday........ That's usually my schedule

Garry Hagins

Gentlemen,
I will do my best to try to come up. My wife and kids can go play in town while I play on the water. I will get addresses for boat launches and etc. if you have them available.

Reactions: Jon

SLOmofo

It is best to go out alone on a light boat traffic day. You don't want it rough, but you do want to encounter different wave, wake conditions periodically. Resist the urge to go fast, you will have years ahead of you to do that. Concentrate on what the boat feels like. Read my post above.
Wax on, Wax off. Repeat.