New Minn Kota Ultrex TM!!!!

Allyfishing

Neal you will be able to determine that once you get the motor and you lay it on your deck. Maybe there will be enough room to raise it ya never know. Either way, if I would have had to use the plate and cover the hole in my opinion it wold have been well worth if for what this motor will do for my fishing!! It will be like having a butler on the deck with ya operating the TM for you while you are sitting down retying or going to the back deck to get something (or pee) and he'll never be in your way or take the first cast at the spot you are about to cast to.

scj

Craig, you made me laugh this morning........Butler..........you need to coin that name.....:LMAO:

Allyfishing

well I'm glad to have put a smile on your face Steve. That's settled then.....my name for my new TM with be "the Butler" instead of what I was thinking of called it...."hey Biotch.....hold the boat right here whilst I go relieve myself"!!! lol

GotMyAlly

Got mine today. It's not as simple as just dropping it into the fortrex mount. Apparently minn kota did change up the mount slightly.

Allyfishing

Neal,I finally got on the water today and tried mine out. It is the next best thing to first time sex!!!!! lol Seriously Neal, I was smiling the entire time on the water. I ran it thru some test after completing the heading sensor calibration and this motor is the cats balls!!!! if u like to fish current or wind that spotlock is going to give you a woody!!!

By the way, theres a few posts on BBC about some new accessory add ons for our boats.

GotMyAlly

Glad to know it lives up to the hype. Waiting on the plate from Allison to cover the recessed pedal tray, then I'll get mine out for the maiden voyage.

One other thing that I was excited to see......the useable shaft length on this motor is about 1" to 1.5" longer than the Fortrex it replaced. (Both classified as 45" motors).

GotMyAlly

I've got birds front and back, but the new raymarine stuff looks enticing. I went with the iPilot link and tied it into the 788ci HD on the bow. But I'm tempted to move my 998 up to the bow and put a raymarine unit in the dash. Need to let the ol pocketbook recover from this upgrade first though....LOL.

GotMyAlly

Mine's just waiting on a nice day for the maiden voyage. Couldn't bring myself to sawzall the deck for a larger tray. With the spotlock, autopilot, contour tracking, etc......I suspect I'll spend a lot less time with my foot on the pedal. I fished for years with a pedal on the deck and it never bothered me. So having it surface-mounted shouldn't be a problem, no more than i expect to have to actually use the pedal.

GotMyAlly

Neal, you get to try out the Ultrex yet?
Yep! Had it out yesterday for the first time. I'm in love! Lol.

The pedal is a little more sensitive than my fortrex, but similar enough in every other way that it didn't take any time to adjust to running it like a legacy trolling motor.

I love that I can set the auto pilot, then jump on the pedal to navigate off course to go around an obstacle or retrieve a hung lure, and then ipilot takes back over once I get off the pedal and puts me back on course.

Spot lock is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Wearing the remote around my neck, well I found that annoying. Didn't use it much anyway. ....could do most of what I needed with the buttons on the foot pedal, or using go to waypoint functions on my hbird. I ended up with the remote laying on the front deck and only touched it to "jog".

Spot locked up wind and of a ledge and went to the back to fish. Still had 2"-3" more shaft I could drop down if needed, but even with 15-20 mph winds yesterday the motor didn't lose bite.

Allyfishing

great review!!! I'm with you on the remote. It's going to take some getting used to. I purchased the Micro ipilot remote which is a much smaller version of the one that came with it. It doesn't have the led screen but can do everything needed for a day of fishing. I may just caribiner clip it to the loop on my board shorts for the summer months.

Did you download the app to your smart phone and link it to your motor? That's how you download updates for the firmware. How about the heading sensor? Where did ya mount it?

GotMyAlly

Yep, I downloaded the app and updated my motor before the first trip. Never tried the phone app on the water though.

I put the heading sensor in the rear right compartment on the little shelf on the outside edge. Just 3M taped it down. Seemed to shoot through the cap just fine.