XB21 Or XB2003

I plan to purchase a used Xb 21 ProSport Or Xb 2003. I would like some opinions on the two models. I plan to use the boat for local fishing tournaments and such. Do the 2.5's work well on the XB 21 or are they better suited for an Optimax/ProXS?

GotMyAlly

I've had a 03/225X (2.5L), a 21 with the same motor - later replaced by a 250XS 3.0L, and I have a 21/250xs as my current rig. As much as I loved my 2.5L motor on my 2003, I felt the lack of torque made it more suitable to the 2003 than the 21. It would run on the 21, but I felt like a needed to swap props every time I went to the lake, depending on my intended use that day. I'd drop in pitch to accomodate full loads/livewells on sweltering hot days, then pitch up when I wanted to go play and had less weight in the boat. Once I went to a 3.0L, it had enough torque to run one general purpose prop, pull that prop with a fishing load in the boat, and still spin it up to a respectable top end number. Had I kept the 2.5L motor, I probably would have raised the rev limit by 500 RPMs and I believe I would have been satisfied with that compromise, so that I could run a lower pitch prop to get my holeshot and turn it higher to gain back some of the top end that was lost due to the limiter.

gmorgan

I have a 225 Mariner Super Magnum on my xb2003, and props from 27P to 30P work well on it. In the summer, I don't use the 30 at all. My motor has had the limiter raised to 7600 RPM, and it will turn all of the props from 7200 to 7600. I don't tournament fish, and I use every chance I have to keep the boat on the light side. I just don't carry a lot of stuff I never or seldom use in it. Boat will run from 85 to 98 depending on load and temp and humidity. I've never run it without the troller or batteries, always a fishing load.

GotMyAlly

That was probably part of my problem with the 21/2.5L combo. My boat stays packed to the gills. If I coulda kept the load half-way reasonable, that setup probably would have been satisfactory.

I cleaned out my side glove box the other day. This is everything I dug out of there.

Attachments

That was probably part of my problem with the 21/2.5L combo. My boat stays packed to the gills. If I coulda kept the load half-way reasonable, that setup probably would have been satisfactory.

I cleaned out my side glove box the other day. This is everything I dug out of there.

I would say I always carried a moderate load. When testing, in my old boat, I was always loaded with an extra person and all the other stuff they would normally carry. Your earlier post confirmed my suspicion of the 2.5 liter on the 21 though. I think those boats need a 3.0 liter to perform well with a moderate load. I had this trouble when I switched hulls the last time. The Promax 225 ran very well on my first Gambler. With the second one I owned (same model), the hull was different. It just didn't work well. I know comparing Gambler to Allison is night and day. That's why I'm looking to buy an Allison. I would prefer to have the bigger motor on the 21 if that is what I end up with. Right now, I can't find one of either model to buy.

xb03fs

Xb21 are very nice. I believe eve there is s 2+2 in for sale forum that would fish great...

XB21 is hard to beat.
I purchased a 99' XB2003. I attempted to by the XB21 that Reynolds had on the internet for sale at the time but, was told it was no longer for sale when I called. I had watched that boat for a few months and really wanted it. I'm glad things happened how they did though. I love the boat I bought and it was considerably cheaper.

NOTGSXR

I purchased a 99' XB2003. I attempted to by the XB21 that Reynolds had on the internet for sale at the time but, was told it was no longer for sale when I called. I had watched that boat for a few months and really wanted it. I'm glad things happened how they did though. I love the boat I bought and it was considerably cheaper.
I didn't mean it to bash the 2003.. it's a great boat I'm sure... it's faster than the 21... but the 21 is more roomy... they both are great multi purpose boats.. the 2003 is faster and fishes ok.. 21 is plenty fast.. fishes better and is more comfortable I would guess especially if you take out your family of 4.

Both are Great boats all around!

RedAllison

I would prefer to have the bigger motor on the 21 if that is what I end up with. Right now, I can't find one of either model to buy.
I've got one of THE sweetest 21s on the planet for sale, "Rainy Day Woman 2". 1 owner, 2008 XB-21 2+2 with 190.. odd actual hours via dual Smartcraft gage's, hydro steering & jackplate, ready to go! New AGMs on the 24v Terrova Ipilot (& 24v Maxum Plus it replaced 3yrs ago is included) front & rear 9 & 10 inch Hbird Si units, torsion axle tandem trailer with disc brakes, 225 Sport XS with 1.62 Sporty (all original, never a problem). Full custom made, padded cover with motor hood. No options were left off the order sheet when new. Steerable headlights, LEDs on magnetic switches in EVERY compartment, pro-air tournament live well, Stealth onboard AC & DC chargers, tackle tackle tackle storage boxes, 27" Hydromtive Q-IV prop... many more toys I'm sure im forgetting. THE first red 21 ever built & still the ONLY 2+2 on the planet!!! Motor never damaged, hull & trailer never wrecked. You'll spend over $80k replacing her with a new one today. Let's talk, I'll set you up for less than half that! Only reason I'm selling is I've gotta new bay boat & place in FL that's is taking her place. I will deliver 2 hours anywhere from Jackson, TN with certified fund$. (Pic lastyear at Clifton rally)

Attachments

xb03fs

2+2s are the best family boat made and does everything better than an xb2003 except accelerate and look As cool.

My 250 powered 21 is faster and will be a lot faster than my 2003 hotrodded 2oo was.

Easier to drive, better holeshot, more stable, center walkway, better mpg, better top end, more room, better design, more level at rest....

Everything but acceleration..

If i had more cash I think a 300xs with a dbr tune, 1.75 gears , carbon cowl, lithium batteries, and a nice little 27 may solve that discrepancy. Propped for 87 my 250 powered 21 is quite fun/quick. Propped for 90+ less fun. It will hit the limiter at 87 in less than a half mile for sure in good water..

Last edited: