New Minn Kota Ultrex TM!!!!

Allyfishing

You guys see this new motor??? This is a game changer for sure and will most likely convert a host of MG users to MK...as well as me!!

GotMyAlly

Sounds like the upgrade from a Fortrex should be really easy. You be the guniea pig.....I'm looking forward to your review. I've been excited about that troller ever since they announced it. Also curious to see if the pedal will fit in our recesses.

Allyfishing

I found out the pedal will not fit in our foot well. The pedal is 9" wide at the base. I measured mine and its not 9" wide til it gets closer to the front. I pre-ordered one thru Cabelas. i had a ton of points saved for a big ticket item so figured why not.

I ordered a well cover plate from Bill. Also spoke to Todd and he is going to help me out with a template he uses for the Fortrex mounts when installing at the factory.

Won't have it til around begining of December (guessing). Which means I won't get to try it till Spring.

GotMyAlly

Just have cabelas send it down here and I'll break it in for you this winter.

One thing to be prepared for. My first 21 did not have a recessed tray for the foot pedal. Over 80 mph, the wind would lift up the pedal and it would float above the deck. Add in rough water or a rogue wind gust and over the side she'd go. I had to bungee it down for fast runs.

Allyfishing

I'll send it to ya as long as I'm able to come on down anytime and use your boat!! lol

Yeah, I know what ya mean about a pedal not secured to the deck. On my old Astro I used a samll size rod saver velcro strap secured to the deck right where the steering/power cables exited the foot pedal to hole it in place on the deck. That way I could swivel the pedal left or right for comfort while on the TM depending which side of the boat I was fishing. I may do that with this one after I get a feel for it, or just screw it down to the plate once I know where it is most comfortable.

Allyfishing

Yeah, about a month ago and I'm dying to get out and try it out but all our local lakes have been drianed due to the drought.

This motor is going to be awesome!!!!! I'm not accustomed to a TM sticking up in the air like MK's do. MG hugs the deck.

The power steering on the cable driven foot pedal is super sweet. The tension can be adjusted like a Fortrex. The prop starts out spinning gradually rather than top speed when ya hit the button. That's cool. And with the power switch flipped to ON the prop will not spin in the stowed position. Another neat feature.

The entire motor is beefy and looks well thought out and built well. The ipilot remote is newly designed for 2017 over previous (so I read) models and has all the capabilities to run the TM.

I can't wait til spring!!!!!!

Allyfishing

No it did not. I built a false floor in the well which raised it up to about 2" from the top rim and the pedal is forward about 3". It's about center of the well vertically. Better than being up on top of the deck

Allyfishing

The four bolt heads seen in the first pic are from the original mounting of the MG pedal. After some precise measuring I drilled the holes for the bolts so that I can use the threaded holes in the well. I used the smallest diameter PVC pipe to make "pillars" that are between the actual well floor and the top piece. Aluminum angle 1.5" by 1.5" for the sides under the white floor

dubmoney

Would you mind posting a pic of the trolling moter from the side and or front of the boat to show how high it sits off the deck. I have an xb03 and I am thinking that thing would look enormous on my boat.

Allyfishing

It is enormous!! I'll get a pic up soon. One of the reasons I was never a MK guy in the first place was how big their motors were compared to a MG tour.

dubmoney

Well I need a bigger boat anyway. Guess it's time to order my XB21 so I can mount this trolling motor.

GotMyAlly

Did you go 24v or step up to 36v? I noticed it's only $100 more to make the jump to 36v. That's a small incremental amount when you're spending that kinda money.

Allyfishing

I stuck with 24v. I have one 24v lithium up front that's starting its 5th season and I didn't want to invest in another lithium. For me, my MG 82 LB was more than enough power so I expect the MK to do the same. Actually expecting more since every MK user I've eveer spoke to said theirs kwas stronger than a MG same thrust. We'll see

GotMyAlly

My ultrex should be here Friday. Been looking at my foot pedal tray. I don't have the eped, so I don't think I've got enough room too do a false floor like you. Can't slide my pedal forward much. Probably have to put the plate over my recess.

Attachments