1990 merc 2.4 fat block

Derrick

I have a 1990 2.4 200hp motor that has a block that looks like a 2.5 with no fingerports. Anyone have an idea what it's worth. It has exhaust port reliefs and has 110lbs in each cylinder according to the gauge I used. Can it be bored to 3.5" bore to make it a 2.5L. Any ideas or thoughts?

gmorgan

You need to talk to Dale Eaves in Soddy Daisy. He used to do the machine work on a friend's block like yours. It can be made into a 2.4L behind the liner motor.

Derrick

It already is from the factory. It has ports just like a 2.5 but its a 3.375 bore. I wasn't sure if it could be bored to a 2.5 or needs new sleeves installed. I was comparing it today with a normal 2.4 block and a 2.5 block. Its really interesting that it has exhaust relief notches to lower the compression and reduce overall power to 200hp. My understanding is its popular for those drag racing 2.4s because of its ability to breath better

gmorgan

Are the sleeves in the 2.4L .125 thicker than the 2.5L sleeves? If so, I don't see why you couldn't bore it out, chamfer the ports and give it a try.

Derrick

I looked a little closer at it yesterday after speaking with a little more knowledge about these and it only has finger ports and it's not behind the liner and found out that it'll cost more than I want to spend to make it a 2.5. oh well guess I'll sell it or part it out to get my money out of it.

Derrick

it is a steel bore block. looks like a 2.5 outside but is a steel bore 2.4 inside. regarding price, what are you looking for? just the block and front half, complete powerhead or engine