Made a video of my gear case running.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
That's what I thought SCJ. But, I wish someone with a XB 2003 with a 2.5 liter running around 14" of set back would shoot a video so I would have something to compare my video to. Because we really have no idea what it should look like running without that. I think mine looks like it could come up but, what if that's what it is suppose to look like running? I have had several people tell me I am not running enough set back and several tell me I am. so, who is right?

Bobalouie

Not to join the crowd telling you to change setback, but, I think at 5" you are way to far in on a 2003, unless you weigh 90 lbs and run empty all the time. My XB02 had 7" on it when I got it, and driving it at 1/8" above the pad made the hull feel overly wet. When I changed to 10", my whole world changed because the hull got free. I think raising your engine above the pad with that short of setback is going to be a bad recipe. Like SCJ said, the water is lower the closer you are to the pad, and raising your engine up above the pad could end up resulting in a blowout and bat turn due to the prop losing bite.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Not sure everyone is aware that I am running a 3.0 liter not a 2.5 liter. The 3.0 is over 100 pounds heavier. That's why I moved closer, just FYI. Theres not a lot of info on how to set one up to run with a big block. The boat drives and handles fine the way it is just thought I would make a video and post it. maybe get some good discussion going on a XB 2003 with a 3.0 liter motor.

scj

Same principles apply; heavier you run, lower you run.
Closer you run, lower you run.

If it were me, 3/8" to 1/2" below is where I would start and with a prop known to carry a good load. ProMax comes to mind.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
The boat runs great and drives great. I am not setting it up anymore just doing a little fine tuning. I thought making a video would help. But, it really just made it more complicated because no one else has made a video of there's running and no one can tell me if the way mine looks is correct or not because they have never seen one running. I was hoping a few more people would or had made some videos of there set ups in action. I tried 1/2 inch and thats to deep there's to much tail lift. She was at 1/4 inch in the video and ran fine and drove. SO, get out there and make some go pro videos!

Allyfishing

That's a good way to explain the water coming off the lip scj. And I too was always told the further the engine is setback the higher the engine can go. k-dawg, see if you can find captnkirk (not sure how he spells it) on here and ask him what his setback and height is. He came to the last 2 rallies and he runs a XB03 and a 250XS with a lot of setback and runs the snot out of that boat. He kinda scared me one time as he blew by me!! lol

2Fast2Pass

Looks deep. The waterline should be just below the nose when running. If you can get someone you trust to drive, just go to the back and look at it. Not wide open obviously! The top of the case below the cavitation plate will be running pretty dry without a lot of spray coming up when its right. If the bullet is below the waterline you are missing out on some mph for sure. Good Luck

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Well, I am around 1/8 below now. I drove her yesterday but, with the 31 ET that I could only get to 5600 rpm last summer/fall. I had the dog with me and I am scared she will get spooked and move around while I am running. So, I didn't push it to hard but, I had no problem getting to 5600 rpm and pretty sure she would have climbed to at 5800 rpm maybe higher had I got an opportunity to string her out. It didn't need as much trim on the big end to make her run and drive nice. Boat felt like it was really level almost flat while she was running on the big end. I think I am gonna leave it there for now and drive it for a while before I move it any higher or lower. Prolly make another video.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Fyi...YouTube of stock sportmaster going from submarine to water ski at around 4m in. Was 1/2" below pad on SS2000 Comp. This combo in 2013 was good and stable to 106mph.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
That's a great video. I have noticed since I raised my motor I don't need as much trim and she seems to run flatter. Looking at that video makes me think that once the nose is free the lower unit actually lifts the back of the boat. Just like a ski creates lift to stay on top on the water. If the nose is buried like mine was seems like it would have some water pressure pushing down on top of the nose.