SS-2000/Mercury 200xs setup

FloridaGS

There is an adapter for the wheel, there is one on my boat, unfortunately I do not know the manufacturer but Bill does, and called out when he check my boat out at the factory after buying it. Give him a call.

aeneas

There is an adapter for the wheel, there is one on my boat, unfortunately I do not know the manufacturer but Bill does, and called out when he check my boat out at the factory after buying it. Give him a call.
Thank you! I will call Bill and order one.

aeneas

Film with the new setup. This was the 10th trip of the season and only the second with me alone in the boat. 96.8mph at most in the clip below. Very happy with the performance! :D

Last edited:

aeneas

Thank you pkstv and FloridaGS. It was a bird... A Great Cormorant. I hit one earlier today - got it on film as well. There is a substantial grease print from the collision and i seriously doubt he made it. He lifted and flew almost the same course as I had but I was much faster - I will upload it on youtube tomorrow.
The camera is a GoPro Hero 3+ Silver Edition I bought a few years back. Very good camera. I also have Garmin Virb Elite but I don't get it to work properly. The speed is 97.5mph.

Last edited:

FloridaGS

Thank you sir on the info...I've hit a few creatures over the years unfortunately....for mounting the camera, what are you using? Hate to lose one.

aeneas

It doesn't have to be very big if it hits you in the face at speed... :eek:
The water is very nice. It is a fjord, very deep - 120meters at most. Sheltered waters.

aeneas

I am not sure. Any suggestions? I am running a Mazco RE3 30p at 6720 rpm, would a 31 or 32 make a difference? Will the engine turn such a big prop to make more speed?

Last edited:

aeneas

With a stronger motor the goal would change... A 280 107mph or more.
I thought 28-30p was normal pitch on a SS-2000. About the limiter, I will get back to you. I think I was pretty close (6720rpm when I looked but I did not look most of the time) and may have hit a glass ceiling (=soft limiter). Yes, the limiter can be raised but then one would have to take a look at the compressor bearings too maybe change for a gen II compressor.

About the lower: I run a bone stock SportMaster 1.87, would an Allison cut lower increase speed?

I spoke to a friend yesterday who is a bit of an expert on 200xs and he didn't not think I would gain any more speed with a gen II 200xs. The difference is that a good gen I is easily as powerful as a gen II but they are very (=too) uneven in power (195-225hp) while the gen II is even (220-225).
(He suggested a 260 or a 280) What am I in this for? A quick efficient fun boat. I can go full in but will I keep the boat when I am done? I still think 100mph (and 97.5) in a 200hp four seater pleasure boat is good.

Just thinking out loud...

EDIT: The rev limiter is at 6 850rpm so I have not been there yet.

Last edited:

aeneas

Thank you for moral support! :D Yes, it is great fun, a drivers boat! It is a fantastic boat/motor combination. For excursions unbeatable efficiency, for speed nothing around here can take it on the flat and for how it looks.

I will look at trying to get the last revs out of it with this prop on. Then we will see...

FloridaGS

Run it with the 200...diet the battery and yourself and 100 is yours...otherwise know you are doing the fastest most efficient, and enjoy the beer afterwards.,.no 280 unless you break the 200...use the cash for that new truck you been thinking on....miles of smiles....

aeneas

Thank you FloridaGS. Yes, I suppose I could diet. Also empty the boat of sofa, some fuel, some oil, first aid kit, ropes, fenders, poles... :D

DOUBLE J

Pull any excess weight out of boat. I 'd run with just required safety equipment and a rope. Swap battery to lighter one (Oydessey 925 works good for you and save 25 #'s alone there). Do the Ally cut skeg mod (worth a couple of mph's there) and run light on fuel. Should get you close without having to skip a meal. Lol

flying07

Love reading this post! Just like mine when trying on the GS the past two years, nice work! A little note, for what it's worth: I had Todd at Hydromotive 'massage' my sportmaster, cut the skeg, some rounding, and a few other 'items' he did to it. Wow, night and day difference! Picked up just shy of 2mph on the same prop, but the handling was AWESOME! not that it was bad prior, but a huge diffence, so running low 90's became way easier! Just my 2 cents, as others have said, that little bit might let you hit the century club! I sadly sold my GS before hitting it myself. . . . .

aeneas

Hi, thank you for your support! :)
I am away on holiday so no boating until I get back. Then we will see how your tips and tricks work... :D