Stay away from maxxis tires

GotMyAlly

My second maxxis tire came apart and destroyed another fender on my trailer. First was when my boat was barely a year old. Then again a couple years later. Both times the tread peeled off and left steel belts to mangle the fender. Come to find out, maxxis starts their warranty at the date of manufacture. Ever bought a trailer and called the tire manufacturer first to make sure the tires on your brand new trailer are still covered? No. Come to find out, my warranty had expired before I ever brought my new boat home. I'll never own another set of maxxis tires after basically being told that the supply chain is not their responsibility. And that's coming from someone who has ran maxxis tires on ATVs, cars, etc in the past.

Attachments

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

M8008 - ST trailer radials

And as bad as I hate to say it, I've had good luck with Maxxis ATV tires and really liked their mud terrains that I've ran on my trucks in the past. But the way they handled this, I'll never own another product with their logo on it again.

Way too many occurrences of failures of their tires by others, too:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=maxxis+trailer+tire+failure

Last edited:

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmmm...that's what I'm running on mine right now, seemed to have mostly good reviews at the time. When were your tires made?

GotMyAlly

Hmmm...that's what I'm running on mine right now, seemed to have mostly good reviews at the time. When were your tires made?
Actually, I have a mixed bag. Some from 07, some from 2010. I'm pulling the remaining three off. ....I feel as though they are time bombs. Need a spare? Lol.

Mark Carte

Probationary User
Sorry for your trouble with the tires. I am going to find a way to put 15" wheels and tires and use standard Michelin passenger car tires on my trailer.

GotMyAlly

I ended up going with Cooper Cobra's. They're available for 14" wheels. Commonly used on old muscle cars, etc., so they have a little higher weight capacity than what you'd find on a family sedan. Couldn't be happier.....they pull smoother than the trailer radials that they replaced.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Too bad all trailer tires are junk. Think about it, those tires are responsible for carrying a guys most expensive toys. For all the money invested in boats, race cars, and campers you would think we could buy a dependable tire...

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had Marathons for years and had no issues. The next set I had both of them blow out within a couple years. I have 3 years on this set and so far so good. I know the Marathons have been made in different countries over the years.

GotMyAlly

I pulled my first Allison for 6 years on the tires that came on it....that were already 4 yrs old when I bought it. And that was a single axle trailer too. That was when Marathons were made in the USA. It may still be rolling around on those same tires for all I know. I wouldn't expect to get 10 yrs out of any set of imported trailer tires though.

martin802

Probationary User
yeah, I do agree I also have some bad experience with Maxxis tires, after that, I changed the tire brand now I am using a "Carlisle radial trailer tires" working great even I use that trailer for long distance towing service and the tire performance is good.

ROBERT CROSS

GY Endurance ST's on our Airstream...made in USA, 2yrs no problems, when the GY Marathons time out on the Boatmate will also get the GYE's14231

SLOmofo

Tires that sit take a set...... then they de-laminate.
Tires have a shelf life.
Have had a two year old tire with less than 500 miles on it blow out on my motor home. I was on my way to the WAR17. Two year before that all six were replaced because of two blow outs on the way home from the WAR15.
I now make it a habit to drive the motor home at least 10 miles, once a month every month to heat up and flex the tires. Unfortunately almost all tires are made in China today and they don't give a rats ass about quality.

G Allen

Had a tire blow and mangle a fender on the way to WAR 2019. Replaced the trailer set with Carlisle Radial Trail trailer tires, they are a good bit heavier duty than most. Important for a single axle trailer to have tires mounted with excess load capacity, 8-10 ply rating.