Got XB2003 and 2.5 260 SS now the fun starts, Setup Questions

whipper

Thanks a million for your input guys! Whipper, your descriptions of driving at different motor heights, and different conditons, has got me wanting to leave work, right now and get her on the water!! Can't wait to do some testing!!
haha theres no fun like Allison boating fun!! its like you have a cross between a Jet fighter when ya want and a family cruser/Fishing when ya want. Lot of the latter but not to many can turn into a competitive drag boat just by mashing the peddle. ;)

When im by myself ill try new things just to see what happens. hard turns, letting off hard then getting back on the gas, figure 8, to much trim and to little trim at 55. Stuff like that.Not a 65+ but below that. Its amazing how forgiving they are below 65. You would really have to have a major mechanical like the motor fall off to get hurt below 65!! Once your on the pad its all about respect!! for this size of boat in a vee hull to do over 80 no problem is the extreme end of awesomeness. Take your time and she will respect you as much as you respect her. like a girl friend. Allison. Ya want to push her into an uncomfortable position be prepared to get slapped!!:D

RedAllison

SS all the way! I LOVED my SS225 on my 03 for 9 seasons before the 21 took her spot in the garage. I STILL miss that SS snarl and idle. Only thing I'd truly recommend is doing the Mercruiser Alpha trim pump swap. The SS pump is slow as molasses in Jan. The Alpha pump works two, three times as fast without the hassles of a 24v setup!

Welcome aboard!
RA

Last edited:

BP1

SS motors and Allisons go together like peanut butter and jelly. Let's see that Nass cowl set up when it's done!

dubmoney

Red, I did notice that the trim is kinda slow! I will have to do some research on the Alpha pump. I will post a video of my motor running in the driveway. It is drystacked, and sounds sweet! BP, I should get my Carbon Nass Cowl in the next two weeks and can't wait to post side by side pics, I know it is sure to raise a debate about old school versus Alien Cowl. I am also looking forward to writing up my list of rigging choices, and experience with the first time launching and testing. I sure appreciate this site and all the help, advise, and knowledge the members provide!

XB03AllyProud

Hey Whit, did you get rifle bolts figured out? I'm sorry, I had to run back to work sooner than planned after we talked and forgot till now to let you know I didn't get to pulling mine and measuring them. I may be going home for 3 day weekend, if I do and you still need me to I'll put reminder in my phone to measure them.

dubmoney

I think I got it figured out I ordered the 5/16 rifle bolts for the 1/8 inch thermocouple from exhaust technology. They were 32 bucks a piece. Hope they are the right ones. Got them in the mail today.

RedAllison

dub, give Lou Jones a holler about the Alpha pump mod. His SS/260SS has the Alpha pump on it and has for years. When I drove it I fell in love with the "speed" of the Alpha, equal or a click quicker than a standard "bass ramp/pump" setup but you get to retain the overbuilt/offshore "tough as an anvil" single ramp setup of the SS.

peteylen

If I'm not mistaken you pull the tank off the pump and run the the pressure screw all the way in and the back it off about a quarter inch, I think that's what Lou told me at the rally, done mine and works awsome

dubmoney

Guys, I got her on the water today!! I would say over all it was a success!! I have been smiling so big all day!! I planned on taking it really conservative, I had my son in the boat so was not risking anything. Backed it down the ramp and the motor fired with just a bump of the key!! I let her warm up for a long time, on the trailer before I put her in reverse. Water pressure looked good. I installed a digital fuel pressure gauge that I really like. (Speedhut.com) At first fuel pressure was 38 (just what I expected) put over the next few minutes it dropped down as low as 22. Yet the motor still seemed to be running fine. I waited for the water temp gauge to read but it never did. I checked the water with my hand, and it never warmed up hardly at all. At this point I probably should have taken it home and installed some washers in the water system to try and build some heat, but I had waited too long to be here and I was willing to risk it. There was no reading on the pyrometer either. I idled out and gradually increased rpms. It one point it felt like the motor was really out of balance. I backed off and then stared increasing rpm gradually again. Same thing.?.? I pushed a little more on the throttle and she acted like she was telling me " I either go or I don't, there is no in between!! I was all of a sudden going 50 and the motor sounded like I was going 80. I stayed at fifty and the right bank started to read 700 on the pyro. The tach started to fail as if there is a wiring failure, so rpm numbers are a guess. I ended up slowly working up to 75, and I know there is a lot left, I never did open the throttle up. Anyway, super fun and look forward to the next adventure. So, this week I am ordering a new water temp gauge, and cleaning up the wiring. I will plan to do the standpipe mod to see if that helps fuel pressure. Does anyone have any details about adding washers to the water cooling system? I would feel more comfortable if I knew the water temp was between 120 and 170. My mid is dry stacked. And the noise is incredible!!!

whipper

Sounds awesome! ya like a two stoke moto cross bike not in power band or you are. haha This time of year water is cold and takes a bit to get some heat for sure. Part throttle will generate more than wot or speed as the cool water is flowing harder than your motor is working. Cooler temps larger props work harder and can help get the motor up to temp better. Out a balance feel was probably your prop. I would try a different one. Your motor is always smooth and crisp. Props at lower speeds and out of the hole will have that feeling when spooling up if not balanced 100%.

bassracr

Guys, I got her on the water today!! I would say over all it was a success!! I have been smiling so big all day!! I planned on taking it really conservative, I had my son in the boat so was not risking anything. Backed it down the ramp and the motor fired with just a bump of the key!! I let her warm up for a long time, on the trailer before I put her in reverse. Water pressure looked good. I installed a digital fuel pressure gauge that I really like. (Speedhut.com) At first fuel pressure was 38 (just what I expected) put over the next few minutes it dropped down as low as 22. Yet the motor still seemed to be running fine. I waited for the water temp gauge to read but it never did. I checked the water with my hand, and it never warmed up hardly at all. At this point I probably should have taken it home and installed some washers in the water system to try and build some heat, but I had waited too long to be here and I was willing to risk it. There was no reading on the pyrometer either. I idled out and gradually increased rpms. It one point it felt like the motor was really out of balance. I backed off and then stared increasing rpm gradually again. Same thing.?.? I pushed a little more on the throttle and she acted like she was telling me " I either go or I don't, there is no in between!! I was all of a sudden going 50 and the motor sounded like I was going 80. I stayed at fifty and the right bank started to read 700 on the pyro. The tach started to fail as if there is a wiring failure, so rpm numbers are a guess. I ended up slowly working up to 75, and I know there is a lot left, I never did open the throttle up. Anyway, super fun and look forward to the next adventure. So, this week I am ordering a new water temp gauge, and cleaning up the wiring. I will plan to do the standpipe mod to see if that helps fuel pressure. Does anyone have any details about adding washers to the water cooling system? I would feel more comfortable if I knew the water temp was between 120 and 170. My mid is dry stacked. And the noise is incredible!!!
If I remember right . You should be able to find stainless fender washers with 1/8 holes that fit and should work fine. You may want to drill them to 3/16 when the water warms up . On the fuel pressure keep in mind your fuel is your lubricant . Low fuel press can cause catastrophic problems .

dubmoney

Got new piece of art to hang on my XB03 what do you think? I would like to be able to make the switch in one day. What will I need. Two Gaskets, part numbers? Do you think I will need to match the adapter plate, the, and the cowling plate to the exhaust? do you guys use any gasket sealer? Any other tips for seperating the Power head would be appriecitated.

Attachments

dubmoney

Update - I tested the fuel pump voltage, and it was a steady 12.4 volts when running, so I decided to replace the fuel regulator. See picture. I think it looks good, and provides an nice spot to mount an anologe gauge near the fuel rail. This regulator was only $120 bucks plus another 20 for the gauge, so it was less than the new factory part. I did have to build a couple of little aluminum peices to mount it nice and tight to the motor. The bad news is that the new in dash digital gauge had been reading 17 lbs to low all along!!! augh!! So, I did all that for no reason, now I am chasing the reason my in dash gauge isn't reading correctly, probably a ground issue, maybe a bad sender.

dubmoney

I got them from Rex marine I think they work pretty good and look real finished. There is a guy on here that makes a stainless rigging tube adapter that I will probably use for my new carbon fiber alien cowl. The Rex marine adapters are a little big for an aliein. Another pretty trick part I found was the heat shrink rings you see over the braided wire loom. I have not shrunk them up yet because I am waiting to see what the loom does on a really hot day.