Do everything prop?

JWolff

Am I being unrealistic in wanting one prop that can do everything for me? I need to be able to pop kids up on the wakeboard (great holeshot) but I would also like to hit 90 some day. Is that a dream world? Was thinking about a hydromotive xob 28ish.

Xb21 2+2 with a merc 250 and 1.62 gears.

John

GotMyAlly

I haven't pulled a skier with a bass boat in a long time, but I used to drop 3"-4" in pitch to pull adults on wakeboards. I think that 28" X-OB is a great prop. It's what I run 99% of the time on my boat. I think with 3.0L torque, it could do it. But it's not going to jerk their arms out of socket. If I was pulling wakeboarders, I'd want to drop in pitch. A 27" might be a better compromise. It only gives up about 2 MPH to the 28", but will give you a little stronger holeshot and midrange. If your kids are small, that should be plenty. If you're pulling up teens/adults, I'd want to drop further in pitch, but that is definitely going to impact your top end with a limiter in place.

xb03fs

What do you think about a 27 P XOB with 1.75 gears...will it pull really hard. It should be a solid 85/86 mph performer with the 6350 limiter? What do you think a 28 or 29 with 1.75 gears would do..

TxAllisonXB21

One thing to remember is wake boarding and knee boarding are going to keep speeds at or below 20 mph in most cases and 1.62 gears with 28" prop will be a tad tall I think to keep the boat on plane IMHO. I run 1.87 gears and less torque and the XOB 27" I just ran would pull them up but struggle to go slow enough to keep the bow down. Now I would want a 22 or 23" if I were pulling very often especially if I have a boat load.

Jr in Jax

My trusty Trophy 4 blades [a 24 and a 26] do a great job of both. The 26 will run 87.3 GPS and has plenty of holeshot. The 24 will snatch me up on slalom, run about 80 GPS and is also my best Bat-Turn prop. The thick bladed Trophys are just about indestructible.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
My trusty Trophy 4 blades [a 24 and a 26] do a great job of both. The 26 will run 87.3 GPS and has plenty of holeshot. The 24 will snatch me up on slalom, run about 80 GPS and is also my best Bat-Turn prop. The thick bladed Trophys are just about indestructible.

I thought everybody said those Trophy props are blade slingers?

JWolff

The boat came with 2 Trophy Plus 4 blades, supposedly both 27p. One is engraved "Trophy Plus" and I can see the size, 27, but the other is just a light paint or something that is barely readable that says Trophy Plus but I don't see a pitch anywhere. Figured I would sell one and keep the other for the back up to the Hydro.

John

scj

I'm not sure "a" prop exists that will cover all your needs unless you have the rev limiter raised.
I run 1.62 gears in my sportmaster with a 25 ProMax. It can do and has done everything you're asking a prop to do but my limiter is set at 7k. At 92 mph, it was spinning just under 6500 rpm's.

A 26" prop would get you closest to what you are after.

Lotus 50

According to Merc's prop calculator to see 90 mph, with 8% slip, you'll need a 28" pitch prop. If it were me, I'd try the two props you have before buying anything. I've been told the 27 Trophy is better than most. It may be. Jaco's charges more for the 27 than other pitches. I'd expect your two props to not be identical.

I've used a Trophy prop a few times, but not a lot. The one I have is easy to drive.

JWolff

After more research on here I have found that the one I have been using has the allison mods to it and I have not been impressed. With all 4 pvs holes wide open it is better but still not what i want. Waiting for the predicted warmer weather next week to try the other prop. 25F and snow is no fun no matter what boat you are in.

whipper

An ally cut trophy I wouldn't like with lots of torque. The one i had was a 27 and it was super unreal top end but that was it. Stock 25 trophy is my go to prop for 10 years and its beat up i take a file to it hammer it and it still performs great. haha:rolleyes: A 26 Hydromotive would probably do the trick also. your going to need a 28 as said for 90 though. 80+ with a 25 or 26 though is decent after pulling is done without a prop change. Thats probably the best your going to get.

GotMyAlly

The trophies I've had (two of 'em - both 27's) were terrible in the steering torque department. No fun to drive at all.