Recent content by Skywagon

1. S

Brucato injector cleaning report

I would also recommend Tony's service as a diagnostic tool. When I bought my old 280, I had unexplained plug fouling problems. With Tony's testing and documentation I was able to fix my problem AND get mercury to pay for it. Bill
  2. S

Grand Sport bow walk

FRA, Good to hear that you are having fun with the boat. If my memory serves, I had the propshaft set about 1/4" below the pad. It was pretty optimum for running Casey's 28ET. It drove pretty well with that combo. That set up ran 98.6 MPH with a "beach load," the wind shield and 100+...
  3. S

Hey Skywagon

Art, Sorry for the late response. Yes, we made it out OK but it sure did take a while with all of the traffic. :D We ended up faring pretty well here at home. No flooding or blown out windows but plenty of fence repairing on limbs to pick up! That would be great if you guys moved to...
  4. S

chopper vs hoss

26 Triton. Best prop for my boat by far.
  5. S

CLE on an XB2002?? what about set-back???

As far as the total correct setback required for your 2002, I'll defer to the 2002 guys. In regards to the 260/200 question; In my experience less setback is needed as horse power goes up. Bill
  6. S

CLE on an XB2002?? what about set-back???

Agreed. I ran a stock CLE on my GS/260 well into the mid 90's several times with no sign of blowout. The previous owner ran it to 101 countless times with no issue also. It's just the set up and the driver. CLE's aren't the boogeymen that people make them out to be. True, they are a little...
  7. S

STV

I would agree with you. I've never raced a EURO ski but a friend of mine has an STV. With my grand sport and my 280 and a 24 chopper I would get him out of the hole but even with his old modded "black max" and a 26 triton cut he would eventually leave me. At 90 plus I'm ofcourse "paying full...
  8. S

jackplate wedge?

To add to GotMyAlly's post, more horse power seems to need less setback too.
  9. S

New G.S.??

After about a dozen phone calls over the period of a year and a half, I just gave up. I talked to Bill directly every time. It's the only problem I've ever had with Allison. They are/have been having problems with the vendor who makes them and can only keep up with new construction. That's...
  10. S

New G.S.??

Re: new GS That was about the same time I ordered a set of swim rails for my GS, and I'm still waiting on those as well! :D
  11. S

100 MPH CLUB

I know what a trolling motor is, but why would you put one on a grand sport? :D :D
  12. S

225 to 260,,,fuel and speed?

I wouldn't be scared of a 260, properly built, at all. My 260 was great for lake cruising on my GS. I now have a 280 that runs about the same as the 260 but is a little more civilized at idle. I have driven a GS with a new 225X and the promax doesn't even compare to well built 260 from an...
  13. S

mercury 280

Texomabum, I had problems with my injectors also. The fix was to send them to Tony Brucato. Very easy to work with. Now I can run the BPZ8HN-10 plug and idle forever with out fouling. Before the injector work i could not run more than 1 or 2 times with out fouling. Now, I have the same...
  14. S

Nose cones?

I run a stock Sportmaster right now. Runs fine up to 100. CLE's/Torquemasters with cones seem to be a little faster though. For what I do though, I like the idea of just having a stock, low maintenance sporty. Bill
  15. S

Rookie- Set-up

With out seeing your set up and lower unit, I would suggest lowering your engine and inch an then trying it again. Ofcourse, 2 inches below the pad is not at all optimum, but it will get the job done until you can get a nose cone. It's a lot of drag but I have run over 94 mph at 1.5 inches...