SS-2000/Mercury 200xs setup

aeneas

So the season came to an end in September. I was hoping to get some late season runs but it has just not been possible with vacations, autumn storms and winter setting in. The top speed recorded for 2016 was 97.7mph GPS. I am very pleased with the setup, the boat feels light yet rock solid - easy as pie to drive!

Last edited:

aeneas

Sure....rub it in. o_O:LMAO:
It was for you Robert so you can imagine your beautiful new engine. :D

Still great to see that boat fly by ! We need more posts from you Aeneas ! Looks like an Allison post card in your part of the world !
Thank you for reading! :) The setup project is continuing as I have many more settings to try and a couple of new things in the pipeline... :D
If you are in Europe, drop in and I'll show you around my neck of the woods. ;)

ROBERT CROSS

"It was for you Robert so you can imagine your beautiful new engine." :D

It's still out of reach...but it is mine.:)

Glenn sent a pic....after I paid for it.:rolleyes:

fullsizeoutput_14be.jpeg

aeneas

Sweet! That brand new gen II runs and sounds like a racing motor yet returns unbelievable fuel economy.
I have now owned my gen I that I bought new in crate from Allison Boats for 8 years (130hrs) without an issue. All I've done is to feed it strong batteries, spark plugs, grease, best fuels, Merc Premium Plus oil, Merc High Performance lubricant for the lower at 10 hour intervalls, air and fuel filters, compressor belts, impellers and gaskets and given it some TLC. Getting to the spark plugs on my gen I is a b*tch and on your gen II as easy as a 2.5. Buy the service manuals for your engine, they are very good and helpful!
I broke mine in as a race engine so it runs real well... :cool:
I hope you get lots of fun with your new 200xs!

ROBERT CROSS

As a retired Auto Tech I'm a bit anal about maintenance. I will be ordering the manual for the 200 ASAP,( still have the one for the 225PM).
I'm a big fan of the NGK Iridium Plugs, they worked really well in the 225x, and I have them in everything that runs on gas....except my Dear Wife's 1953 Ford.
5-13-07 cyber-shot #4 005.jpg
....her Grandma's first new car, unrestored.
fullsizeoutput_44d.jpeg

TLC is my speciality.....;)

Thought you'd get a kick out of this.....our 1964 P1800s, "The Saint" Bought in 1969, sold in 2010.o_O
fullsizeoutput_fa1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_44b.jpeg

Last edited:

aeneas

Cool cars! I have a friend who is crazy about the Volvo P1800, he knows every year every detail... He met Pelle Petterson who designed the car and is also a famous boat designer (mostly sailing yachts but the occasional outboard and dc).
It is such a good looking car and reliable and easy to find parts to tune both engine and suspension. You still have the old Ford? Unmolested and unrestored - that's how Jay Leno likes them... :D

Jon

Supporting Member
Hey Robert, I think I'll run over there tomorrow and put some finger prints on that motor for you! :)

aeneas

If the new propeller was a 31p I would be quite sure it would turn it considering the way it turns the 30p, but the 32p..? The reason for asking is that the 30p I drove in 2016 maybe more like 29,5 in reality considering the very low slip numbers I get. Let us for argument sake say that the 30p is 29,5 and the 32 is 32,5... Then I would be 3" up - a tall order!
The people that measure pitch, have they measured Mazco propellers? Are they accurate in pitch? (I have not searched the board for information regarding this).
If I can't turn it, what do I do? How high can I raise the engine and still drive it safely? Or do I have it worked? Should I sell it? Other good propellers to try? Drag 3 31p?

For the time being I will have to rely on the torque of the 200xs.

At least I get up on plane easily with the 30p. (A friend driving).

I really like the Mazco because it is fast and it feels like the boat is on a string.

Last edited:

Jon

Supporting Member
I'm interested to see what it will actually do. Give it a shot as-is and let us know.

aeneas

The summer has been very windy and I have only been out three times, no top speed runs yet.
At about half fuel tank the boat is in perfect balance - feels very light and fast and is amazing fun to drive! 100 is still the goal!
The Mazco RE3 32p has been 'cleaned up' so it is ready to go. I will try it next time. More to come!

Last edited:

ROBERT CROSS

Nils,

I feel your pain....here on the East end of Lake Erie we've only made it to the Niagara River 4
times.....:(

Hard to learn anything with the GS on the parking pad.;)

Last edited:

ROBERT CROSS

Nils,

Question.....what temps are you seeing?
At Idle & with stats open....

I was having water pressure issues....7-10 psi at Idle on the hose.
Got it down to 3.2psi at idle with stronger poppet spring, but still running cold...85-100* Poppet discharge port is clear.
All other pressures good. (smartcraft gauge)

Thermostats not opening running on the hose, removed & tested, both opening 140-145*, the water getting past the thermostat relief is barely warm.
Water streaming 10ft out the air compressor line.

Will be out tomorrow for more testing.

Bob