MK Ultrex 80 installed

Steve Melton

Last edited:

Tim Powell

Yep! Those work! Any pics with it out of the recess to see what you trimmed?

What about the bezel below the graph, does the pedal clear it? Looks like it would hit when pedal is all the way forward?

Steve Melton

Yep! Those work! Any pics with it out of the recess to see what you trimmed?

What about the bezel below the graph, does the pedal clear it? Looks like it would hit when pedal is all the way forward?
It clears easily. The picture doesn't really show how much clearance there is between pedal and bezel. I will try and take some more pics in the next few days

GotMyAlly

I fished the other day in a steady 20+ mph wind out of the south. Where I fish, that has the wind rolling with the current. I spot-locked just down-stream and down-wind of a ledge where I had marked fish. The wind was rolling enough that it spooled my marker bouy that I threw out to mark the school, but the spot lock held tight. Made fishing so much easier not having to stay on top of the trolling motor. I could walk around the boat and just fish. And didn't have to worry about blowing off the spot when re-rigging, unhooking a fish, etc. After about an hour, the wind starting picking up even more and the rollers got bigger and bigger. When I bought this trolling motor, I had considered getting the longer shaft. This day proved to me that I have enough length as-is for any fishing I plan to do. By the time the trolling motor started coming out of the water regularly (and subsequently making it struggle a little more to stay on spot), i was also taking splashes over the bow. When I gave up and packed it in, most of my front deck was wet. If i was going to fish in conditions any rougher than that, I'd need a bigger boat to go along with the longer trolling motor :LMAO:

Steve Melton

I have had several people fish with me since I installed my Ultrex and think Minn Kota should give me some royalties for selling their trolling motors! Every one of them say that's the next upgrade that's going on their boats once they saw how I would hit spot lock on a school of fish on a ledge and just sit and fish without working the trolling motor to keep us in place. Anyone that ledge fishes on Ky Lake definitely should have one!

GotMyAlly

If it won't fit, the recess makes a great place to stow a couple of packs of your most frequently used soft plastics.

Steve Melton

I should see my Ultrex in 3 weeks!

Now to figure out how to make that dang pedal fit!
Have you installed your Ultrex? I trimmed the rear corners off the foot pedal base and moved it forward about 1-1.5" and it works great. I did put some Gorilla tape over the corners just for cosmetic effect. I took a saws all and just took off the plastic which doesn't effect any of the electronics or the support of the foot pedal. If you want or need me to take mine off and get some pictures to you just give me a holler.

Tim Powell

Have you installed your Ultrex? I trimmed the rear corners off the foot pedal base and moved it forward about 1-1.5" and it works great. I did put some Gorilla tape over the corners just for cosmetic effect. I took a saws all and just took off the plastic which doesn't effect any of the electronics or the support of the foot pedal. If you want or need me to take mine off and get some pictures to you just give me a holler.
I have not received it yet, the last I heard MK had stopped production to resolve an issue with the main board. Once that is addressed, mine should be built and shipped.

I am not opposed to cutting the plastic on the foot pedal!