Trailer locking up

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
My XB2002 trailer brakes have all of a sudden decided to start engaging and locking the rear wheels when backing up, even on a level surface. Never did this before.

I never got that little lock-out oval metal piece for the brake piston when the boat was new. Made one in the shop redneck style in about 45 seconds. I guess I better give boat mate a call and find out what is going on.

Anybody else have this happen?

jimbob88

I had to go under trailer & loosen the zert (?) There is one on the back side of the drum. Had a channel lock & did the trick. Lil bit of oil leaked out too & it would release the brakes. I got sick of it happening so I disconnected the line & put caps on the ends.

GotMyAlly

Probably electrical, maybe on the tow vehicle. I think that's the blue wire, IIRC. Get a test light and make sure it's hot when the vehicle goes into reverse.

As a workaround at the ramp, you can flip the 5-wire plug over.......only connecting 4 of the 5 wires. That'll put the tail light wire from the truck to the brake release on the trailer and disable the brakes while you launch. If that works......you've got a wiring issue with the tow vehicle.

Otherwise, that blue wire on the trailer may have gotten pinched somewhere before making connection to the brake override solenoid (swing away tongue?).

The Whip

Neal pretty much sumed it up.

When you put the vehicle in reverse, do the reverse lights come on? How about the trailer reverse lights?

Last edited:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I didn't know there was an electrical reverse lockout solenoid! Thanks for the tip, Neal. That will point me in the right direction.

whipper

Mine started doing the same thing on the secondary tow truck. {older} My new one never an issue. What you can do is place a washer behind the slider thingy on top the tongue or on one side. Youll see that when the trailer is forward it pulls that thing forward. When backing up it pushes the bar back. The washer stops the brakes from engaging. Not a huge deal on a lighter boat really. Never noticed anything different. More a temp fix so ya can go boating on a day when you dont have time to fix the real problem.
I cleaned out all the connections on both ends and put some electrode gunk in there and it was good since. i think it was just not getting a good connection on that receiver.

Last edited:

allimax

As a workaround at the ramp, you can flip the 5-wire plug over.......only connecting 4 of the 5 wires. That'll put the tail light wire from the truck to the brake release on the trailer and disable the brakes while you launch.
Great tip!

njj502

Not to get away from the subject but brakes on a trailer for a xb02? Are you pulling it with a Geo? ;)

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I'll bet I know what's wrong, the truck was just in the body shop for a rear bumper replacement and maybe they forgot to hook up all the wires to the trailering socket. I'll test the reverse lights on the trailer and go from there.

Geo...Typical Allison board humor. You could have at least said Ford Escape or something. :big grin It's a GMC 1500 and you haven't seen the mountain road I have to travel both ways to get to the lake...trailer brakes DEFINITELY help keep brake pad wear on the truck lower than no brakes at all, even though it's a light boat.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
I have seen vise grips work and even a 2x4 to keep the tongue from sliding and engaging brakes, but I would never ever do it...

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I was going to say Prius but I know that would offend many in CA.....:LMAO:
Njj..Wouldn't have offended me..I hate those liberal-moving, self-righteous obstructions to the flow of traffic!

My trailer is a dual-axle 2007 model with disc brakes, and I think an extraw wire in the harness....so i'm inclined to agree with Neal's "lockout solenoid" tip. I'll inspect the trailer and see...

h2oskiier30

I'm almost positive one of our members here tows/has towed his Ally with a Prius before...hell, I want to say it was slomofo. Apologies if I'm wrong, though.

Whoever it was had it as his sig pic for a while.

njj502

Yeah I knew someone out there did.... LOL I figured I'd stir the pot....

There is a electric solenoid that actuates when you hit reverse. It's tied into your backup lights... The solenoid allows all the pressure to dump when you back up.... Hope you find the prob! If you got a 5 wire harness you have it.

njj502

I knew it would surface sooner or later. I love how it's parked in front of Asian auto. Wonder if they were putting brakes or batteries in/on it ......

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Here's another "Japanese Import" in the bottom of this photo. It's a bullet from a Mitsubishi Zero fired at us on December 7, 1941. You can see the swirls from the rifling grooves in the machine gun barrel. My Dad dug this out of the running board of his '36 Dodge after the attack, when he noticed a strafing line up the dock to his car.